ideas for making a casing for a japanese ryoba saw

id like to carry around me trusty saw because although it doesn have a wide enough set in the teeth to cut to big logs its very sharp and cuts fast and is very good to pick up small pieces of branch wood i see that people trimmed when im going about my usualy business. i need to make myself a easy case that will protect the blade and saw and also the bag id put it in. ive thought of using leather and cloth but because of the shape it would be very hard take off. id like it to be easy and fast to take off. itd be best if it would be able to just slip off. i was thinking of using two very thin pieces of wood and tying them together with a thin cord. does any one here have any other suggestions? thanx ~B for a pic of the saw

bhabronz

I use several Japanese hand saws - they are excellent tools. I'm thinking about the same thing. So far I just keep them in the plastic or carboard sleeve that they come with :-) I've seen carpenters just placing them side-by-side in their toolboxes with no covers at all. Not sure Id do that with an expensive one but these days some of the blades are considered disposable.

If I were to make a sleeve I'd probably go with your idea of using a thin plywood with spacers. espeically with more than one saw, you could make a tote like that to hold several.

Another idea would be to cut two pieces of leather slightly larger than the blade, stitch it along one side and top and use either a tie string, snap or velcro to close the open side.

It might be a good idea to consider the possibility of moisture with whatever method you end up using.

Reply to
somewildmonkey

I use cardboard - chipboard - for mine. Just a piece folded around the blade and reinforced all over with duct tape. I fold the corners nearest the handle inward so the case doesn't slip off. I also saturate the inside with oil.

Reply to
dadiOH

and are very convenient.

RicodJour

I'm thinking of a hinged scabbard type of set-up. Rout the profile into a thin piece of stock, cut around it leaving 3/8" outside the profile, cut another to match, hinge them and use neodymium magnets to keep it shut.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Use old blue jeans legs for material. Check out the remainder bin at a fabric store; you can find canvas and the like there.

Look at a ryoba case at your local WW store. Memorize the construction, then sew up (or have someone sew up) a duplicate. Use self-stick Velcro appliques instead of the tie string. You'll have to stitch the appliques down 'cuz the glue won't hold.

Sew or glue cardboard trapezoids to canvas trapezoids. Stitch the long edges only. Slide the handle into the wide end and out the narrow end.

In general, learn to use a sewing machine to make bog-simple straight seams. You can whip out any number of useful yet incredibly ugly pouches, bags and whatnot for the shop.

If you do find someone to do the sewing for you, you might want to reconsider the traditional 6-pack in exchange. Chocolate seems to work better.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Jay, very cool idea :-)

Reply to