I'm looking for small 'L-brackets'

Hi ya'll,

I got a microwave cart at Big Lots for $19.95 that has a kind of 'trim board' that goes across the front. So you can't see the particle board egde. This is the kind that you put tohether yourself. There was supposed to be two little 'L-brackets' with 4 screws in the box, they hold the front trim to the bottom of the top shelf. Anyway those were not in there. Since it was the last one they gave me $15 off and keep the cart, but I can't find the small 'L-brackets' anywhere to put the trim board on. I looked at Lowe's and Home Depot and Ace Hardware, they smallest they have are Stanley that are 1 inch long on each side, too long, only 1/2 inch would be good.

Does anybody know a place online that sells these small 'L-brackets'? I only need 2. I looked on Gooogle but I can only find things people did with L-brackets, not who sells them. Except Rockler but those are 1 inch too. Or is there a 'pro' name for this part that is a better search?

Thanks,

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

I haven't seen them so for the type of table you are talking about, I would make my own. You should be able to find the 1/2" metal at HD or Lowes. Use a hack saw to cut it to length, 1". File the edges. Clamp in a vice and take a hammer and bend at the halfway point. Drill holes on each side.

Alternately, you should be able to cut down the size of the 1" stanley brackets.

David

Reply to
DL

Any chance you could glue and clamp it on? Does it need to be removable later? If you're gluing MDF to melamine or formica like substance, I'd suggest epoxy. How about confirmat screws (made for MDF and quite strong)? They make little plastic buttons that just insert into the flush screw heads, look fairly good. There's usually more than one way to "skin a cat" (a non-politically correct expression, I bet).

Reply to
gpdewitt

Or use a couple of wooden blocks of appropriate size, with glue and pre- drilled screw holes. Were it me, I'd use my brad nailah.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Hardware store, buy a few screws and a length of 1/2" aluminum angle, make as many or as long as you need.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Wouln't it just be simpler to drill the face of the particle board and the back of the trim board and glue dowels in to hold them together

Failing that if the geometry of the peices mating is solid enough how about a set of small hinges just to make the attachment.

Reply to
Kc-Mass

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:31:21 -0500, the inscrutable Patriarch spake:

Riddle me this:

What has poor Brad ever done to you guys to make y'all continually want to nail him?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 21:01:22 -0400, "DL" posted:

Thanks anyway for the idea David but that's alot of work and tools I don't have for a $1.79 part. I'll going to find one sooner or later, I just thought someone here might know off the top of their head.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 01:31:21 -0500, Patriarch posted:

There's already pre-drilled holes. Just need the brackets. Thanks anyway Patriarch.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On 21 Apr 2005 18:56:34 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted:

Thanks gp, will keep the glue idea in mind, but I don't know about MDF and melamine and all that, it's just particle board? As I said I'm sure to find the brackets sooner or later. But that's a good idea if I don't.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:14:05 -0400, "Norman D. Crow" posted:

Thanks anyway Norm, too much work and tool expense for $1.79 parts, just wait for my next woeful tale.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:16:56 -0400, "Kc-Mass" posted:

Thanks anyway Kc, too much work and tool expense for this thing.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

Sheri L wrote: ...

Well, you spent $15 and won't spend another couple bucks and 20-30 minutes but waste hours here and elsewhere on the net?

Doesn't compute to me... :(

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

*sigh* I'm remembering what Thumper's dad told him in that cartoon "Bambi".

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:20:55 -0500, Duane Bozarth posted:

No Duane it was only $5, I will gladly spend another couple bucks for the part I need, even pay the shipping if not local, but $35+ for a $2 thing, that is what 'does not compute' to me. And I just have betetr things to buy than buy a trunk load full of shop tools that won't ever get use again.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 06:54:35 -0500, Prometheus posted:

Why would you have something not nice to say when someone just asks where to find something or if they have a proper 'lingo' name?

And if you didn't have anything to say then why did you post here at all?

Oh I will find one sooner or later. Spending $35+ to make a $2 part must be a male thing I guess.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L

It's not that. It's buying stuff from big lots to furnish your home, and then wasting far more time than the piece was worth in the first place trying to retrofit it so it will work at all. It's hard to find anything nice to say to yet another person who just wants the cheapest crap they can find when we're losing our entire manufacturing base because of that very behavior. Probably doesn't matter to you, but my life depends on American manfacturing (and so does yours, though you may not know it.) You could just as easily go to your local hardware store (not the Home Depot, but an actual hardware store) and ask them. I know you've got one in your town, and I'd be willing to bet someone there would be willing to help you out- but that might cost an extra twelve cents, and you wouldn't want that. After all, it might help feed the guy down the street's family instead of funding China's economic boom. In the race to the bottom, you're digging in the sewer- congrats.

I posted because I started to answer you, and then realized the complete futility of it. And hell, the window was already open.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Ha! Reminds me of the article detailing how many petty thieves put more effort into stealing something than they would have if they had just gone out and earned the money to buy it.

Reply to
Upscale

Well, if you don't/won't look at it as an investment for the future to allow you to save the repetitive cost of minor home repair and consider that type of expense money well spent, then you miss the point...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 08:49:23 -0500, Duane Bozarth posted:

miss the point. I don't do home repair, that's what the landlord is there for.

Sheri L

Reply to
Sheri L