MDF for a bedroom set

I was looking for a bedroom set (Sleigh bed, armoire, night table and a dresses) and I was informed from a Canadian company (Geovin) that their furniture is constructed from maple solids and birch veneers on MDF. I was doing some research and it seems that solid wood is out of my price range and quite uncommon in today's day-and-age.

I was wondering A) if anyone is familiar with the company Geovin and their products and B) if anyone can tell me about the pros and cons with MDF (specifically with regard to bedroom furniture)?

We were quoted from aproximatly $3,700 canadian to $4,300 U.S. Is this too much for such quality?

Thanks a lot, MJ

Reply to
mendelj

I'm not familiar with the company, but there is nothing inherantly wrong with MDF. On the "pro" side, it's dimensionally stable and pretty strong- it is as attractive as the veneer that is on it. On the "con" side, it's heavier than plywood, and it produces a hell of a lot of dust when you cut it.

Sounds like way too much to me, but I'd just make it myself anyway. If you can't make it, then who know how much it's worth to you?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

The purists will tell you that anything made of MDF is automatically substandard crap. The engineers will tell you that it's an excellent material for many purposes, and an underlayment for veneer is one of them.

Personally I've got a Danish bed is veneer and trim on MDF that I've had for over 25 years and through several moves and it's still holding up fine, but it's clearly designed so that the teak is doing the things that teak does good and the MDF is doing the things that MDF does good and it ends up quite satisfactory. It all gets down to design--if it's designed so that it uses the good qualities of MDF and works around its weaknesses then it should be fine. In the price range you're talking I would expect that to have been done.

Reply to
J. Clarke