QX - TS Mobile Base

TAP's JTAS 10 XL came with a nice HTC mobile stand (Model HRS10G). It's a 3 point stand, 2 casters under the saw, one at the end of the extension table. My problem is that the casters under the saw don't swivel, so getting it up against the back wall of the garage is a bit like parallel parking an 18 wheeler.

I'm considering slapping some swiveling casters under the base that is under the saw so it will roll sideways, not just fore and aft. Has anybody tried this and if so, how?

If I could replace the 2.5" non-swivel casters with some ball casters that would support the 400+ pound of the saw and extension tables, that would also make life easier. Anyone know of a source for real HD ball casters?

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

I have the same set up and can get the saw to within an inch or two of a wall. I would not advise using swivel casters on the saw end as this will make the saw unstable when cutting. There is a reason for those 2 wheels being set up the way that they are.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Leon. Sounds like you've learned to park that 18 wheeler!

I was planning on using swiveling casters that can be locked or rigging a kick-up to raise the casters completely off the floor before sawing. Adding a similar kick-up at the "front" (extension table end) would keep the whole thing relatively level.

It may be that with daily practice I'll get the parking drill down and not need swivels at all - we'll see.

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

Tom Banes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Delta's mobile base, at least for the Aircraft Carrier version I own, uses one lever-lift wheel, and two of the non-swivel type. It's easier to park than an extended cab pickup at Safeway. With the lever up, I can't slide that saw on a slick driveway floor. Which is the way it should be. Random or unplanned movement in a saw is a bad thing.

Check out that design for inspiration. It's simple, and has been widely used.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch