i gang agley

Still working on the various cabinets for our master bath. All is finished save laying soapstone tiles on the vanity tops and making the doors and drawer fronts. I'm using ribbon stripe khaya for those and recently ordered

250 board feet. Only about 40 percent is for the master bath, rest is for my next project (sofa tables).

In preparation for the arrival of the mahogany, I rearranged my lumber storage to free up a shelf for it. I don't know about you but most of the rough lumber I buy is 8-11' long. NP, my storage area can handle that. Well the lumber arrived last Monday; it is gorgeous but there is a "whoops"...almost all of it is 14+' long. It is now stacked on the floor of my shop.

Cutlist Plus to the rescue...I measured and entered each board - there are only 19 - into the program and it showed me where I can cut cross cut to get more convenient sizes. Now I just have to do it; not an easy task as I'll have to move some machines to get sufficient room to set up some saw horses. Guess I could use the RAS but it will probably be easier to set up horses next ro the stack and cross cut mutriple boards with a circular saw.

I could use a bigger shop :(

Reply to
dadiOH

I'd like to see some stages of the sofa table build, particularly the skirt s-table top & skirt-leg attachments, if applicable. I'd like to try a sof a table, some day.

I have an old farm table, with simple skirts. Seems easy enough, but alw ays like to see if there's a different (better?) method.

Took some pics, at a decorator's office, of an old oblong table (from Swede n, so said).... pretty neat table. Skirt-leg attachment, seems to me, are kind of iffy, but apparently they've held up this long, so they must be goo d construction. A few pics -

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Do you use SketchUp?

Reply to
dadiOH

Not any more. Long ago, I downloaded SU (2003-2005?), use it a bit, but was not very proficient. I probably should upgrade the version I have and try again.

Most of my creations have been off the cuff, so not sure SU would be of that much benefit. Maybe if I used it, that *benefit idea would change.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Absolutely reload the new version. I too loaded it about the time you did and uninstalled it on two occasions. Finally there were enough improvements to convince me to switch to Sketch up permanently about 8 years ago.

Down load some Sketchup drawings and play with it. I literally could not, would refuse to operate with out it.

Reply to
Leon

Nice driveby.

All I get is sweetgum, chinaberry and such.

Reply to
G. Ross

"dadiOH" wrote in news:ms77b6$bkr$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

That reminded me of this post from long ago:

If Google Groups doesn't show you the first post in the thread, scroll up.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Are you using the CutList Plus 4.x Sketchup plug-in too?

Reply to
Leon

Oops, CutList 4.x

Reply to
Leon

Did you see the latest Cutlist Plus fx works with this:

Swingman

I got an e-mail announcing this add on. Are you using it? I don't see any advantage other than maybe matching grain. Other than that I think the Cut List 4.x plug-in does pretty much the same thing. And I think it is written by the same guy Joseph P Zeth, Swamproad Woodworks,.

Reply to
Leon

I asked about SU because the very best way to see details of the sofa tables is via the model itself. To that end, this is a d/l link to it (about 15 MB)...

However, you probably won't be able to open it with your older SU. Here is a d/l link to a much older and rudimentary version...

If you get the first one, use the "layers" tool (Window>Layers) to hide/show various things.

In case you just want a few pix, this will do...

And since I was uploading stuff, I uploaded a PDF of all my remaining projects...

Regarding SU, if anyone EVER designs or builds stuff, it is an incredibly useful program. With it, one can design simple things like a table to complex items such as a whole house. Or more.

For me, the biggest attraction is being able to see how things will actually look, particularly in relation to other things. For example, I am currently working (off and on) on a drawing of our house. One of these days down the road I want to add some hard and landscape. By drawing the house - and nearby trees - I can then add my ideas about the hard/landscape and see how they will look.

There are also rendering programs (both free and paid) for SU; with them you can turn a SU scene into an image that is nearly indistinguishable from a photograph.

Like you, I had an old version for several years. Occasionally, I would fire it up and draw a rectangle, maybe expand that to a cube. Big deal. Finally, I watched the four short introductory videos available on the SU site and things gelled for me.

Thanks to others in this group I learned that "components" were very useful. In SU, if you draw something and then draw something else touching it, the two are stuck together...not so if at least one is a component they can be manipulated individually.

The other thing it took a while to figure out was how to draw something to a pre-determined dimension. It can be difficult to do so by moving the cursor. However, as you draw, the changing length/size is displayed at the bottom right and all you need to do is enter the dimension you want. Don't click on the dimension box, just type. If there are two dimensions to what is being drawn, separate them with a comma.

My advice is to get the new SU, play with it and use it. You'll be glad you did.

Reply to
dadiOH

I have it but don't really use it. I got it after I was pretty much finished with my drawings and for it to be effective (for me) I would have to go through SU and rename compoents in a manner more conducive to me understanding what was what once run through the plug in.

I had already done takeoffs and made a Cutlist DB using rough lumber so I would know how much I needed. Once I got the lumber, I entered the boards into Cutlist as dimensioned lumber so I could get the cutting diagrams.

Reply to
dadiOH

I did it your way for several years and yes you do have to name components in the drawing but I made the switch about 4 years ago and even did piece counts in the drawing to compare to the imported number of pieces just to make sure nothing was being left out. Now I don't give it a second thought and the process takes about a minute from selecting the components, importing, and displaying the cut lists.

Just something to think about if you decide to use it.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly!

I did just that, I have a model of the interior of our home and beore I build a piece for our home I put it in the model to see how it looks. A great design tool.

Reply to
Leon