I confess...I may suck a little (gloat)

A long time friend and loyal client gave me a nice 6/4 x7" x 72" board of black walnut today. She would like me to make a proto-type of a picture frame. If she likes it, she would like me to make a dozen-or- so of them to give away as Christmas presents, and she will give me all the black walnut I need to complete the order. As payment, I can take what I can carry in two arm-fulls of birds-eye maple and/or black walnut. I have seen these boards, they are frickin' fabulous. Properly stickered, over 10 years in a dry barn. I can pull my truck pretty close to the piles...I won't have to carry the boards very far...I

*know* I can carry a whole sheet of Corian by myself. I don't think I'll sleep tonight.

r----> who still manages a pretty good lift of quartz countertops at his old age. Whadday'all think, fellas...one load of walnut and one load of birds- eye?

Reply to
Robatoy

Start pumpin iron to carry as much as you can. You lucky dog!

Reply to
Ralph

Thu, Nov 8, 2007, 6:57pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (Robatoy) who doth sucketh quite a bit sayeth: A long time friend and loyal client gave me a nice 6/4 x7" x 72" board of black walnut today. She would like me to make a proto-type of a picture frame. If she likes it, she would like me to make a dozen-or- so of them to give away as Christmas presents, and she will give me all the black walnut I need to complete the order. As payment, I can take what I can carry in two arm-fulls of birds-eye maple and/or black walnut.

You do realize you have to think this out, don't you? Can you carry/hold more cradling the wood in both arms? One bundle encircled with both arms? Or, a bundle under each arm? Can you load more with a "helper" loading you up, or not? Can you actually carry that much the distance to your truck? Do you have to dump the load in the truck, or can you dump them on the tailgate, or ground, or have someone relieve you of them at the truck? Believe me, if I was giving away wood like that (it'll never happen) I'd have rules to abide by. A small amount of decent wood, not necessarily from this stash, as a sacrifice to the Woodworking Gods would now be appropriate for this advise. The spelling is correct, you are advised to not piss them off.

JOAT Viet Nam. Divorce. Cancer. Been there, done that, got over it. Now where the Hell are my T-shirts?

- JOAT

Reply to
J T

If the wood is that nice I think I might start pumin something other than iron.

Reply to
Frank Drackman

I wonder if she'll let me stack it strategically on a set of sawhorses first...then get under it.

Reply to
Robatoy

All those options are going through my head as well. One of my guys could help me a lot if he were to load me up and then make a run (stumble) to the tailgate....

Then again, I'm not greedy either. Picky? Yes. Greedy? No. If I can score a few prize pieces, I'll be happy. There's one curly maple board...at least 10" wide...6/4 by a good 10 feet long. Mint! I'd want to resaw that sucker.... or nine fabulous guitar necks....maybe twelve.....sixteen even....just the best looking stuff I have seen in years. The walnut is kind of lost on me. I never really got to know that stuff. Veneer on PB...sure...lifts and lifts of it. My life has always been simple. Hard maple, cherry, or poplar (for structural stuff) Huge fan of baltic birch ply. I made a lot of things out of oak, but always disliked it. Birds-eye is the most incredible wood....a friend of mine has a 50's Gibson electric guitar..and the back of it looks like there are pearls floating in space...took my breath away. I expected to feel the bubbles...but there weren't any bumps to feel. Weird.

Reply to
Robatoy

All I hope Rob, is that you post a few pics of what you decide to do with it.

I would have to go half and half. I am thinking here of contrasting woods on furniture. Can you imagine a top made out of that maple affixed to a simple, but elegant, black walnut base?

Stunning...

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Oh yeah....

Hell yes you suck.

Thought I would try to clear that up for you.

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Hittin' the gym tommorrow?

Reply to
B A R R Y

A shame. It is definitely one of the world's nicer woods. In all respects. _____________

More expensive than walnut. If $$ is your motive, grab it.

Reply to
dadiOH

Ditto but am wondering if the price has gone up in your neck of the woods like it has here? Am paying $37.50 (U.S.) for the 1/2 X 5 X 5 I was paying $21-22 a year ago. Or is Mason's Mill & Lumber feeding me a line?

Reply to
Dave In Houston

Rob, before you start short-stroking and hyperventilating here . . . . . . . .she has to like the prototype frame!

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

I wood suggest putting on a girdle, truss or weight lifting belt as greed can be most motivating. if would be a shame to blow a nut and suffer the hardships that go with the same. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

I'd look into "specialty" clothing. Maybe a pair of suspenders hooked up to reinforced pants. If you could go over the top of the wood and grab the suspenders you'd have a lifting sling. If you do end up going that way, post a picture. I need a chuckle. ;)

Oh, and suck you do indeed!

RicodJour