Human Stupidity strikes again

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in news:ll2Yb.13444$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com:

Whether it is insurance or the county that pays the costs, "premiums" will need to go up to cover the costs.

Reply to
Han

We're a non-profit as well. Last time I checked we were giving away about $16mil a year. We all pay for it, and that's why nurses at Community and non-profits get paid less than at not-for or for-profit hospitals. Just an FYI.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Lazarus Long

A college roommate had a good start at doing that. He was a building contractor (before coming back to college to get an electrical engineering degree -- doesn't require strength in both arms...) and to "save time" he always worked with the circular saw guard pinned back. After several years of that nonsense statistics finally caught up with him and he had a bad kickback. The wide scar went from his wrist to almost the elbow. It was deep enough the bone was partially severed.

The guard would in all probability kept him from anything more than scratches and bruises, he said.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

No problem Charlie. I should have included a couple of :) :). It was obvious you were not up to usual.

Reply to
CW

When I was taught how to use a radial arm saw I was told the most common accident with it was amputation of the left thumb. The second most common was blunt trauma to the chest or shoulder, often with a dislocation, due to kickback (perhaps 'kickforward' since a RAS cuts with a climbing cut). This comes about from right-handed people using their right hand on the handle on the right side of the saw, and holding the stock with their left hand so that their body is in line with the blade and they reach accros their body to steady short pieces.

To avoid injury, I was taught to use the tool left handed, that is with my left hand operating the saw and my right hand holding the stock. This puts the 'stock' hand really far from the blade and your body to the right of saw instead of in line with the blade. It sounds awkward, but if you do it that way you'll immediately see the advantage. I wish Nahrm would give it a try that way.

A sliding CMS can be used the same way, although often the trigger switch is designed for right hand use. Also, a sliding CMS can be used by pulling it out past the stock, then plunging it down, and then pushing it back through the stock like a normal circular saw so as to not do a climbing cut. I'm interested in opinions on that.

One problem I have had with a sliding CMS is misaligment of the fence extensions with the fence resulting in kickback upon completing the cut, regardless of which direction you cut. No, I didn't set that saw up, but now I always check to be sure the stock is flush with the factory fence on the saw befor cutting. The same thing can happen if the stock being cut is crooked, not properly jointed on the edge against the fence.

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Fredfighter notes:

Lemmee tell ya about--do NOT use the RAS to cut OSB. I had a piece shatter when I was cutting it, and it was 10 minutes before I realized my right pinkie was pumping blood from a split to the bone. The other piece caught me in a very sensitive spot and I spent that 10 minutes bent over, whooping and whining before I noticed blood all over the damned place. I had hunched my way from the back porch (location of a saw that left my possession as quickly as I could clean the blood off) to the kitchen, which fortunately had glossy paint on the walls and linoleum on the floor (old farmhouse kitchen really had linoleum).

I won't even set a piece of OSB down near an RAS now.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

young carpenter, is T.C. Traverse City? I'm in Waterford/ West Bloomfield area. Where are you, Bob?

Reply to
RemodGuy

Charlie

Who do you think PAYS for the care of the uninsured when they run up bills in the hundreds of thousands of dollars?? Hospital bills are often written OFF as uncollectable, and in county/city hospitals they are subsidised/funded by your taxes

Also, if un->John Crea responds:

Reply to
John Crea

I'd say the hospital gets a tax deduction for non-payment, in some cases, but I don't know how it works for non-profits. I know how it works for me. I don't get paid for an article, I can deduct my expenses. The rest, I get to eat.

I'd guess in some cases, the hospital gets to eat part of the bill, in other cases we do.

Charlie Self "Health food makes me sick." Calvin Trillin

Charlie Self

It may seem that way on the surface, but they would not exist doing charitable work all the time. We pay either in goverment subsidies or higher insurance premiums for the rest of us. There is no FREE healthcare. If too many people can't pay, the price of an aspirin will go from $4 to $6.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hell's bells, it was already $40 the last time I was in a hospital.

Reply to
Silvan

I believe this is regional and I am almost sure they said circular saw. I live in C.N.Y/F.L.R

Reply to
Young_carpenter

Yikes, Don't remind me. Area insurance is the highest in the state, (the county is the highest in the area) and the state has some of the highest in the country.

Reply to
Young_carpenter