mixing light bulbs

I have an overhead light fixture with 3 40 watt bulbs. one of them burnt out. can I replace only the burnt out bulb with an LED bulb? What if any would be the consequinces? Thanks for a reply

Reply to
herbwhite59

Yeah but if he lives in a liberal-governed state or municipality, he'd probably need to file for an exemption first- and appeal it twice after the initial turn-down. Then he would need to purchase a $150 permit, hire a licensed unionized electrician using an equal-opportunity illegal alien helper to hold the ladder, then two inspections before flipping the switch -)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Yes, I have a 4 bulb 40 watt fixture and replaced 2 of the burned out incandescents with LED's.

Reply to
Frank

You are right on!!!!!! You might also caution him to hide all his plastic straws when the inspectors arrive.

Reply to
Ken

But the green new deal with not have the oil to make fancy bulbs.

Reply to
Oren

The led bulbs will only work when the sun is out or the wind is blowing.

For the next green new deal we will have to take all the bulbs out during the day so they can absorbe enough sun light to shine at night when we bring them back inside.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The consequence would be you end updoing the same thing 3 more times. Change them all and get it over with. The color temperature of the LED will be different than the incandescents, so it will "look goofy" if you just change the one.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

But if he lives in a climate change denying republican conservative area he'll be lynched by his neighbors when they see the single off-color bulb amidst the original 3. "mixed race" is an abomination to the Conservatives - so he better change all 4 and hope the neighbors are color-blind enough not to realize he's falling into the "liberal trap" of believing science - which might ALSO get him lynched.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Actually mixing them is a way to get around those devices that do not like CFLs and LEDs. As long as you still have at least one incandescent in that down stream circuit the dimmer, occupancy/motion sensor or smart switch will usually still work fine.

Reply to
gfretwell

Will @AOC have red lipstick without oil?

Reply to
Oren

Mebbe so- but the actions would be those of ordinary citizens, not The Government.

Understand the difference, libbie?

Reply to
Wade Garrett

You can, but if it's a closed fixture, the LED one may have a shorter life at the elevated temperature inside from the 80W of the other two bulbs.

Reply to
trader_4

You fail to mention whether this is an incandescent or fluorescent fixture.

Reply to
Davej

Larry

The democrats are working to destroy it.

Reply to
Bod F

Just as long as he uses nice white LEDs.

Reply to
rbowman

If he was really caring he would use a renewable resource -- a whale oil lantern.

Reply to
rbowman

It was always just another mindless glib line from a polly.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Can't say my colors look different but the bulb shapes are different and the LED's appear uniform whereas the incandescents are brightest in the center. These bulbs are exposed and you can see this but if the fixture has a glass cover they would not be noticeable.

I did have a color problem with some old CFL's that were too white and bright to use inside and were relegated to the porch.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I don't think there'd be a problem with that.

You could replace all of them and save even more energy. Maybe get better light too (for me, I'm glad to get rid of that "dirty yellow" color of incandescents).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd