how to strip....

sorry folks...how to strip the finish off a handrail that is in place inside a house? A friend has just spent $$$ on a new floor and would like the handrail on the steps stripped and re-finished to match the color of the new floor. Because the railing has multiple contours, just scraping won't get all the old finish off. I think the rail is an oak with some kind of uretane finish.

moyo

Reply to
moyo

Greg Millen
<<Because the railing has multiple contours, just scraping won't get all the old finish off. I think the rail is an oak with some kind of uretane finish.>>

Don't throw away all those nice shavings your jointer and planer spit out. When you need to strip the paint off irregular surfaces, apply the stripper you would normally use and then grab (wearing protective gloves, naturally) handfuls of those chips to scrape it off.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon