Wood Bar Countertop Construction Options

Hey Guys

I searched and didnt find an answer to this:

I am looking into making a wood bar countertop. It is the pass through area, not around the sink. I plan on adding the typical large wood molding on the edge for leaning/etc.

This piece will be 6 feet long by 18" wide...what is the best technique? I have a table saw and other good hand tools (biscuit joiner etc) and good skills.

My first thought is to buy maple at local supply and biscuit them together lengthwise (sorta like a 2x4 on edge...but probably rip them in half or thirds...so 1.5" wide by whatever depth I get by ripping the boards (inch or so)...even 3/4" wide boards would look good I think.

Anyway, do the above and then sand to smooth...once it is installed with molded etc, I thought to use the epoxy coating for that thick hard look and make it safer for drink water rings etc.

Thoughts or other options to construct? I have seen edge grain or same as above but width (18" long boards....joined side by side to get 6')

Thanks!

Reply to
Jim

Do you have something like this

mind? I can provide details beyond what is on my web site if you are interested.

TWS

TWS

I'm not sure if this style would work (style wise) in your house or if you have any sawmill operations in your area to find these, but we sell a lot of flitches (slabs cut straight through the log) for bar tops. You want it about 3" thick though. Jana

Reply to
Jana

They had some nice looking maple slabs at the hardwood supplier last week, jointed together from 1" strips like butcher's block, and about

2.5" thick. That would make a heck of a bar if you've got the patience for all that gluing, IMO.

Fifty-coat poly is another popular choice for bars, but it's pretty plastic looking.

Reply to
Prometheus