how to get that shiny black finish

Someone is interested in having me make Koto instrument stands. After the cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look pretty simple. Does the shiny black finish have a name so I can look up how it's done? tia - Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Burnett

the cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look

up how it's done? tia - Nigel

I achieve this using automotive materials and techniques--multiple coats of sprayed lacquer, wet sanded between coats, followed by multiple coats of clear lacquer also wet sanded. After final coat, wet sand with finer grades of wet paper, followed by automotive rubbing and polishing compounds.

Reply to
ed_h

cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look

how it's done? tia - Nigel

Lacquer - applied in many coats

BillyB

Reply to
BillyBob

cabinetry I've been doing lately, these look

how it's done? tia - Nigel

Lacquer.

-j

stuff! (Water clean-up too..and virtually no smell!)

Reply to
Robatoy

Epoxy has moxie, But lacquer is blacquer.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi