How to get a perfect gloss finish

I was going to make a window ledge for my bathroom and paint it white. hwoever the last time I painted a (hard flat) wall the finish was far from perfect with brushstrokes left in the finish. I was using 'silk' paint - maybe silk emulsion.

Which brings me onto my next question what is the difference between paint, emulsion, silk, matt and gloss.

Reply to
405 TD Estate

It sounds like you were using an emulsion - most wall paints are emulsions. If you want a perfect finish on your window ledge with no brushlines, then I would suggest using a "liquid gloss", although more tricky to use as it is not "non-drip" it does give a good finish. Alternatively, if you're not confident of this, then how about using a spray finish - like plasti-kote? If neither of these sound OK, then use a non-drip gloss or satinwood (which is not as shiny as a gloss).

As to your second question - all of them are paints, just different types. Most emulsion paints are designed for use on walls (although there are exceptions!). Silk emulsions have some "gloss" to them, i.e. they are a bit shiny (though not as shiny as gloss paints). Matt emulsions paints are not glossy at all. Most "gloss" paints are not designed for use on walls, but are for wood, metal etc....

diypaint

you want the best possible gloss finish, car spray paint is the one. If you dont want to spray, and the far from perfect result of household gloss paint is ok, thats 2nd choice.

NT

Reply to
meow2222