How Quick to Make Knock Off Festool Domino!

Wow, I did not know those were made anymore. I don't think I would buy one now, though. I know they quit making them as they were going to give the machine an overhaul, but I can't find any valid reviews on the new model machine. I never know what to think about the videos posted on different machines. Since everyone with a credit card can temporarily purchase a machine that owns a video camera is now an expert. Sadly, they review tools without learning how to use them in many instances. ===================================== Purely personal prejudice.

Freud does a great job on cutting devices, power tools, not so much.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Or a trailer's even cheaper for such a small load.

Will need to have a way to arrange to make the swap, however...not sure just how heavy the Jetsaur is.

Reply to
dpb

468 pounds.

Don't forget the $250 in gas for 1200 mile round-trip.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Not sure when Freud made the leap from second tier cutting instruments to top tier, but I must have blinked and missed it.

About 10 or 12 years ago I started buying those thin red blades for circular saws they sell. They are without doubt the best circular saw blades I have ever used, and they can still be bought for 10 to 15 bucks depending on what you are buying.

I have my circular saws graded and have one for regular use, hard use, and cabinet use. The Makita I use on cabinets will actually leave a smooth finish on a board when used to rip material if I am using a guide. Until that blade came out, I had never seen rip cuts from a circular saw so smooth.

I have found that they don't last well when used by my ninja warriors, but there are still plenty of utility value $5 blades out there for them.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Well, it all figures into whether it's worth it or not, of course...as does what Bill can find equivalent value for where he is that meets any time frame he has on an acquisition.

I went from SW KS to S VA to pick up an old shaper a few years ago--of course, in my case have kids in E TN and Raleigh, NC so got in a visit to/fro as a side benefit...even counting the trip cost/time think was worth it.

Reply to
dpb

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:5155c442$0$63573 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Forget the truck. 1500 mile round trip is bound to run in to some wet weather, especially in spring. Use a minivan with the seats removed. You may have to do some disassembly to get the saw in there, but there's plenty of space once you get it in the door. (Sometimes I think they start with a 4x8 sheet of plywood then build around it.)

I'd hate to be caught in a thunderstorm with the only thing protecting the saw being a tarp.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

With the mobile base and the storage platform and the 15 roller out feed figure around 600 lbs.

Reply to
Leon

=====================================

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ "Puckdr> Forget the truck. 1500 mile round trip is bound to run in to some > wet

--------------------------------------------------------- What kind are truck are you thinking about?

I'd want a lockable box van.

It's going to be a 3 day round trip.

No way do I want that load exposed to either the weather or possible thieves.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:51562a80$0$33769 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I'm thinking about the typical pickup. The box van would be a good way to go. Probably easier to load than the minivan, and lots of room for a detour through Springfield MO if Bill's thinking of getting any big iron from Grizzly. (Oh and be sure to stop in Ozark or Sikeston, MO for lunch/dinner. This time of year, the wait won't be too bad. Hey roll guy!)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I visited Grizzly and attended the Ozark Old Time Musical Festival while in the area last summer. I decided to replace a stud behind my drywall, so I'm still configuring. After I do that, I'll finish my drywall, paint, and hopefully hang a few lamps in May and June. I've got a few small ww projects I might try while I'm playing around with that. In the meantime, my TV Stand drawing could be redrawn. I should probably re-examine Swingman's photographs to remind myself what quality cabinetwork looks like! : )

I think sometimes retired people forget what it's like to have to be somewhere because of a job! : ) My dad used to say that about his dad. "Just come on out", his dad would say to him (so I was told).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Swingman and I have moved both of our cabinet saws a few times, we used a box van with a lift gate each time. Piece of cake. The saws are longer than the lift gate so we rolled the saw into the gate and let the right end of the table hang out over the back side of the gate. It is light enough for one of us to control as it is lifted or lowered. Both of our saws are on mobile bases.

Reply to
Leon

And/or the self-employed ... don't think I've had but two days off this month, and will work both today and tomorrow to finish two projects this week, one a bath vanity replacement that I will haul to Little Rock the second week of April, but need to have it ready by tomorrow to put a couple of coats of BIN on it before that trip.

I did make a quick two day visit to to your neck of the woods for a funeral earlier this month, flew to Indianapolis on Friday morning, flew back on the redeye Sunday morning, and was back in the shop by 9AM that same day.

First time I've visited Indiana, nice area (cold, though). I did contact Doug about the remote possibility of meeting with you two, but was simply too rushed, and had to get back to finish a project for a client to pick up on that Monday morning.

I mentioned the possibility of saw haulage because I'm considering renting a trailer for the trip up to LR for that bath remodel.

Reply to
Swingman

Bill I have a full time job, run a volleyball program, work ridiculous hours on the weekends at times, and still if I replaced a stud, it would be closed up that day or within a few days.. (the first time I get free time).. not May or June..

Stop spending so much time thinking. Spend more time DOING. Putting a patch of sheetrock takes a few minutes. Spread some mud, tape, let dry.

Spread some more let dry. Damn Bill..

Reply to
woodchucker

Please get an inland marine policy on your tools that will be in the trailer. Try to park the back end up against a building or utility pole.

Not a month goes by where I don't read on facebook about some band having their trailer stolen. Where talking a trailer with hardened steel hitch locks and those parking enforcement wheel boots that cities use to disable vehicles.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yep. Being both a musician, with 50+ years of touring (via van, tour bus, trailer, car and truck) under his belt, I'm well known, a thousand times over, for walking into restaurants carrying my bass; and have even been known to frequent a few construction sites ... so rest at ease. :)

Besides, I only rent "one-way" for these type jobs, it's only a 7 hour drive, so no tools stored in trucks or trailers, ever.

Reply to
Swingman

============================================= "DOING" costs MONEY, "THINKING" does not.

Bill could have invited SWMBO to ride shotgun and turned picking up a saw into a "quickie" vacation, but that isn't going to happen.

It would cost MONEY.

Lew

Lew

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

woodchucker wrote: > > Bill I have a full time job, run a volleyball program, work ridiculous hours on the weekends at times, and still if I replaced a stud, it would be closed up that day or within a few days.. (the first time I get free time).. not May or June.. I agree it's basically a one day job, even after I pull the wires running through the stud and reattach the insulation. I was hoping to do that, complete my drywall, paint, electrical, and hang a few lamps by June. It's hard to start anything big until school is out in May. In the meantime, I'm trying make myself learn to sharpen. Maybe because, it's new to me, I have found that difficult to start Doing! : ) I have a lot of tools that are supposed to have sharp edges. It's nice that we try to keep each other inspired! I should really redraw my TV stand drawing now so I am ready to go on it when summer is here. Have fun!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes, TIME, MONEY, and a certain amount of risk. And, your point is?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

------------------------------------------------------------------ Lack of planning on your part does not constitute a problem for us.

You run the way you do because deep down, you allow yourself to operate that way.

BTW, I used to be a type "A" like you, but a generous amount of time spent sailing solved that problem.

It's hard to get excited about much when you operate in the 5 mile/hour world.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I figured, as a fellow seasoned musoid, you'd already have developed a healthy paranoia for such thing. But I wanted to double check. :-)

Do you know what I have under the seat of my min-van? Various, high-priced trailer hitch and door locks in the waiting. I can't tell you how many times I've showed up for "bus call" on a sub gig or mini-tour and found the artist's trailer locked with a 7 buck master locker padlock... probably leftover from high school.

I always ask, "Hey, you don't mind if we use my pad lock for the trailer this weekend, do you?" "No, sure, that's fine. Here's the key to my lock." "That's ok, I don't need it." BAM! Lock removed with drum case. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-