how many tape measures in your shop

true dat :)

Reply to
bnwelch

Depends on your definition of "precision" - and you need to keep the temperature reasoably close to the same too., and make sure the tape is suppoerted - any sag will make the tape over-measure.

Reply to
clare

Measuring a horizontal distance between two points in space, then transfering that measurement to material to mark and cut can require precision - not repeatability - and can be pretyy dicey.

Reply to
clare

Nor was either of the Master's degrees. My one daughter is just finishing her first - while working. Thankfully no crippling student loans left.

Reply to
clare

Repeatability is almost always good enough - story stick. I don't have to know the numerical distance, only copy it.

Reply to
krw

At least a story stick is rigid - and in the case of cutting a 16 foot 2X10 to fit between 2 points, it's possible to use the lumber as it's own "storry stick" Hold in place, mark where to cut - and cut. Repeatability not required for a single piece. - just accuracy.. (and in most cases like this, a 128th inch is close enough anyway)

Reply to
clare

krw wrote in news:r2kthbl6d02ngf6jtei36a7qf9532jrh2u@

4ax.com:

That's what I was thinking. As long as 22 1/4 inchs stays in the same place on the tape, everything measured to that point will be the same length.

The problem comes in when trying to measure one thing to 22 1/4, and another to 11 1/8. There you need some level of accuracy in the tape.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Not so bad if you do the measuring and building with the same tape... But if my tape read smaller than actual and your reads bigger than actual (or vice versa) it is not going to fit right if I tell you to make a cabinet exactly 24" wide.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

We're defining the terms differently. I have a line from point A to point B and I want to cut board C fit that span. I want to repeat that distance (repeatability). I don't what to know that distance (measure accurately).

Reply to
krw

I have actually seen tape measures that agree at some measurement distances but not at another measurement.

Reply to
Leon

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:8qSdnRVQI_EzwYDKnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I have two adult sons, both working -- one as a technical writer (and raising a family besides), the other as a lawyer.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I was talking to my soon-to-graduate daughter this weekend. She mentioned that her laptop is dying...hopes it lasts the 3 weeks she has left in school.

She said that the first purchase she plans to make as soon as she gets a job is new laptop. She gave me the specs, the price, even the exact model.

I wonder...was that a hint? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The tape came back home or the daughter came back home?

Reminds me of the fishermen's club. "The first liar doesn't have a chance." ... quoted from the album "Voices From Lynchburg", a collection of different stories from the folks in Lynchburg, Tn. The fishin stories are pretty good.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Probably not. She didn't send you a link to her Amazon wish list. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I hope it was a hint. I ordered it this afternoon.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Doug Miller wrote in news:XnsA5F69E64B3666dougmilmaccom@213.239.209.88:

Yes, but you said nothing about the flashlight!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

But it sounds like his sons are pretty bright.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I bet when they were born, they were so bright he called them "sun".

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

An Indian chief named Running Water had three sons.

He named them Running Hot, Running Cold and Luke.

Reply to
DerbyDad03