How do I make this? (Machined carvings and etchings)

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:56:42 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Dave Balderstone quickly quoth:

Wrong approach for US, maybe, but perhaps not for him.

Judging by his link I think he's after a dead mechanical look rather than a custom, handmade item. While this may gag us with a spoon, he apparently likes it.

Raffo, the first link (headboard) could be done with a router duplicator but you'd have to make one first to use as a pattern.

The second (mirror) could be done with a rosette cutter on a drill press, a table saw, a router and some bits, some glue, and a (IMHO, lousy) stain job.

G'luck!

- Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag? -

Full Service Web Application Programming

Reply to
ljaques

Given the existence of "chainsaw carving," I imagine that somewhere there is someone using a rosette cutter on a hand-held drill to carve wood. I'm not endorsing the idea, mind you, just extrapolating. (shudder)

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

Oh the possibilities

Person stationary - holding drill stationary - bit spinning - wood flying!

Wood held stationary - bit spinning - drill spinning - person spinning - OR - wrist winding - ouch

Wood held stationary - bit spinning - drill spinning - person running for their life!

I keep a 1/2 forstner bit - with the 15 degree angle in the shank - hanging on the front of my drill press. Only want to have that 'learning experience' ONCE.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Yes, indeed. I keep a piece of piston rod in my toolbox. It was jammed in the radiator. Remember Alien? Like that.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis