How do I make this DVD Rack?

Folks,

I'm designing a little DVD media rack. Please see the following

Top view Drawing:

's a large drawing, but only 17k).

Sketch:

thinking of making this out of Oak, probably mostly solid. But a question about the shelves.

From the top drawing, you'll see I have the shelves as the dashed

lines, dadoed into the vertical supports on 3 sides... is this overkill? Should I just make a stopped dado on each end of each shelf, maybe just a couple of inches long?

I just see possible issues in cutting all of the dados at exactly the same position on each vertical piece.

How would you make this?

BTW, I calculate that each "level" of this rack will hold approx 72 DVD standard single cases.

Reply to
Larry Bud

Cut corresponding dadoes all at once. Lay out the pieces and tape them together. You could also use two-sided tape under them. Make the ends all line up by using strips nailed or clamped down to prevent movement. Use a router to make the cuts; use a guide. First setup will take a little while, but others will go quickly.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

Hi Larry,

I think that your question is more "labor of love" vs "functional & cute". As far as function, you certainly do not need dados to support 72 DVD's - biscuits, screws, hell, even some 8-d finish nails would support the weight.

The question is really you want a really nice piece of woodworking that will last a "lifetime" or just last 10 years+.

For DVD storage, I wouldn't expect it be necessary to be a work of art - the format will change and then change again, so who knows?

Me, I'd use dadoes just because I'm anal that way - not that it's necessary.

Run all the dadoes at the same time, then rip all the verticals. I'd make 'em through, not stopped and then glue an edge on the front.

That's just me tho.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Yeah, no doubt.

I think Hollywood and those involved in media formats understand the importance of making storage similar for each new format... not so much for us, but for video stores to be able to display their movies... You'll note a DVD is pretty similar size as a VHS case, when it obviously could have been smaller, such as with a CD. The next gen DVDs will be HD-DVD and will be the same size as a regular DVD... so I think we're good for a while. Plus the fact that I'm not going to put dividers for each little title helps if they ever change the thickness of the package on us again... but I digress...

Thanks for the thoughts.

Reply to
Larry Bud