Home Depot FYI

Just posting this to encourage the timid - Home Depot will reduce prices on items where there is a defect. They have a form for it and do it right away, if you can find the department manager. There was a stack of 1/4" oak plywood where every other sheet had slight water damage, the guy said, "what'll you give me for 'em?" And I said, "12 bucks apiece," and that was it.

Reply to
BUB 209

I bought a piece of 1/2" plywood and requested two cuts. The kid screwed up one of the cuts, which wouldn't matter to my actual use, but would reduce the utility of the scrap. I asked for a 30% discount and he accepted. So now I have 3 pieces of scrap instead of 2.

Reply to
toller

My local Lowes routinely will let you buy damaged plywood at half off. I recently purchased 3 sheets of 3/4" Red oak at $23 a sheet. Damage was minimal, at least 95% first quality. Don't be shy,You do have to ask.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Especially effective on torn bags of ready to mix concrete. I ve paid 25 cents for the regular 40# bags and 75 cents ea. for 6 of the "name brand" speedy post setting stuff which is reg $ 5.00 I just use their package tape to seal the tear and toss em in the truck. R

Reply to
Rudy

Our Lowe's used to discount shingles to half price if the wrapper was torn off. A co-worker learned this from a friend who worked there, and so he would make several visits a week, tear wrappers on his desired shingles, and show up at 6am when the "damaged goods" were piled at the contractors entrance for a quick sale.

He actually shingled his house that way.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

Kevin Craig wrote in news:120720041703294162% snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com:

I note you say 'used to' ...

Regards,

JT

Reply to
John Thomas

Sounds like a wonderful person.

Charlie Self "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

Thats funny! After more than a year of scrounging up lumber from dumpsters I had to take a truck load to the dump. Kinda got too carried away with dumpster diving. Actually that was the second time I had to do that. Problem is when you get really good stuff some of the stuff that was "good stuff" beforehand now is not that good.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Maybe they cought him and do not give discount anymore! Max

Reply to
MaxEN