Home Depot closing 15

Home Depot is closing 15 stores it said in our paper today, check your paper or the web to see how close you are to one, they could be some good buy's on tool's

Reply to
racing John

Wouldn't they just move the merchandise to stores not effected (no sale)?

Reply to
Garage_Woodworks

One of the stores is Rome, NY for any upstaters around here. That's the only New York state store that's closing.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually - here's the complete list:

#2015 East Fort Wayne, Indiana #2032 Marion, Indiana #2310 Frankfort, Kentucky #379 Opelousas, Louisiana #2819 Cottage Grove, Minnesota #6901 East Brunswick, New Jersey #6904 Saddle Brook, New Jersey #6171 Rome, New York #3702 Bismarck, North Dakota #3874 Findlay, Ohio #3865 Lima, Ohio #4552 Brattleboro, Vermont #4932 Beaver Dam, Wisconsin #4933 Fond du Lac, Wisconsin #4913 NW Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Reply to
Mike Marlow

15 stores out my guess 2,000 that's not that bad. We have 3 here within 8 miles of each other. A little over kill if you ask me. But when the housing boom was kicking, it was nice to go to the new one that no one knew existed.

Rich

Reply to
evodawg

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:1cc1e$481a8646$6215af4f$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

They may be closing Saddle Brook, NJ, but there are about 20 stores within 20 miles from 07410, and there will be another one opening soon, Paterson or Hawthorne

I guess it is retargeting ...

Reply to
Han

It's a shame about the Saddle Brook store which, by the way, was one of the Villager Hardware offshoots of HD when it first opened its doors. That store had people who were customer oriented and for the most part, knew their stuff. Unfortunately the location is WAY off the beaten track.

Reply to
ROY!

Not likely, it is pretty customary to reduce the price rather than have to handle it four more times, Once to a packing area, again to the moving truck, again to a receiving area, and again to the shelf. It would be a logistics night mare. Been there done that I am sorry to say.

Reply to
Leon

THANKS FOR DOING THE RESEARCH AND POSTING.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

You forget Big Lots and similar buyers of closeout merchandise. They may have a closing sale for X-days, then sell the remainder in bulk.

Their stock is at 29, let's hope this helps.

But, if they can't do better customer service, we'll see another list soon.

I wonder how many of those locations also hosted a Lowes or similar cometition.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

I was always under the impression that Big Lots bought over stock was directly from the manufacturer. I could be wrong. Close out merchandise is not always delivered to the retail store, it is often discontinued stock that the manufacturer had on hand from over production.

Reply to
Leon

When I lived in Rome, NY the True Value Hardware was the place to go, best staff, good prices and a pretty decent inventory. What they didn't have they could get and pretty quickly. The other hardware/home improvement store there struggled, and then pulled out. Of course that was 12 years ago, don't even know if True Value survived the base closure.

Reply to
asmurff

When they built a new store and closed an older, smaller one here, some of the stock (boxed cabinets, sinks, HVAC ducting & registers, large yard goods, etc) was sold at reduced prices - dropping about 5% a week until gone.

John

Reply to
John

I've got HD 7 stores within a reasonable drive from my house, plus 4 Rona stores, and now Lowes is moving into the area opening their own stores. This is northeast Toronto, Canada. Overkill, eh!

Reply to
EXT

They won't bother. Here, (Spartanburg, SC) they relocated just down the street to a new building, and rather than move everything, they just progressively lowered the prices until it was all gone. I went on 25% off day, and it was very crowded. I picked up a ceiling fan that had been on display for an extra 10% off (35% total). I went back on 50% off day to find the line of people waiting to go in halfway across the parking lot, so I left. I went back on 75% off day and there wasn't much left that wasn't broken or worthless. I did manage to snap up every last piece of poplar craft wood and a pile of cedar, though. 75% off day might be worth a couple of hours' drive.

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

on 5/2/2008 9:09 AM Hoosierpopi said the following:

The two HDs that I frequent are equidistant from me, but in opposite directions. From the HD in those two locations, the Lowes store was within sight. Neither of these two are on the closing list.

Reply to
willshak