HF Clamps on Sale

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:12:30 -0800, Larry Jaques

It depends on what you're looking for or need in a clamp. I've never been particularly impressed with the adjustability capabilities of Bessey clamps, but that's not why I like them. For me, the ability to sit flat and square while not tipping over is what I like. So, to that end, the fill my needs quite well. Add in a set of KP blocks and you've got and instant panel door clamping setup.

Reply to
Upscale

I bought the big 'ol combo box more than 10 years ago and I'm still using them. I haven't done any side by side testing with Whiteside or CMT or Infinity, but I don't have any complaints either.

There's probably a reason you only see "green" bits in the standard, smaller profiles and not in the cabinet/door sizes.

When they have those $5 sales, I pick up a few in the profiles that I use a lot, like straight, pattern, chamfer.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Bingo ... I've got most every clamp imaginable, including a few different HF flavors, but when it comes to keeping components "flat and square" (saving the biggest cost of all over every stage of a project: time), I generally grab a Bessey parallel jaw. In critical glue-ups I want every advantage I can get in my favor and never regretted the cost of the four dozen or so Bessey parallel jaw clamps in the shop.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree regarding the Bessy parallel jaws (ie: K Body)and they are my go to clamp for those needs, but I simply can not afford as many of them as of the Bessy Tradesman. It is this style that I think is most appropriate to compare to.

So let me rephrase the question. How does this HF clamp - 24" = $6.99;

to this Bessy clamp - 24" = $$13.49?
mean other than being half the price.

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

I've fond that it depends on the thickness and width of the bars. The bars on the Bessy clamps in those pics look wider than the HF's.

I've had generic bar clamps, like those, over 18" bend before you feel like you have enough pressure on them.

I think you could buy a Bessy from HD or Lowes, and take it to HF to compare. Return the Bessy if the HF's work out.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I've found that the HF 30" or 36" will bend a little, but the only time I've seen the 24" or smaller bend is when I'm overclamping to make up for a some slop that shouldn't be there.

HF used to, and may still, have two different "brands" of bar clamps. The Pittsburgh work well, the others are junk.

As to pipe clamps, my experience has been that the heavy duty 3/4" work fine, the others don't.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 13:23:42 -0500, the infamous Upscale scrawled the following:

I think I've needed that once, and to make it happen, I put a wooden handscrew clamp on the end of the first bar clamp. Mission accomplished.

KP blocks?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:45:50 -0800, Larry Jaques

Upscale

I have a bunch of Chinese clamps. The HF aluminum bar clamps convinced my to invest in a set of Bessy K's. Others haven't been as bad.

Reply to
keithw86

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 03:36:51 -0500, the infamous Upscale scrawled the following:

to see prices like that on little plastic parts.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'll bet you could make something like that out of wood. Cut the appropriately sized dado in some twoby scrap to the depth of your choice. Repeat as needed to get a full set.

Reply to
Roy