Hey JT! Single Shot Actions Book

Did you buy that book on ebay? And, if so, have you received it yet. How is the condition. Was that a good deal for that book?

Reply to
bynot

Tue, Sep 11, 2007, 1:11am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@bellatlantic.net (bynot) doth query thusly: Did you buy that book on ebay? And, if so, have you received it yet. How is the condition. Was that a good deal for that book?

I certainly hope I did, had to send a money order, PayPal was screwed up. Not received it yet; however, as I sent he MO last Wed, I have high hopes of it showing up any day now. A bit pricier than I'm used to paying for a book, but considering just how limited the printing was, how long ago it was printed, the fact that this book is apparently so seldom sold, the fact that the only previous copy I had seen for sale was for almost $300, etc., etc., etc., yes, I do think it was a decent dail for this particular book. I am quite appreiative of you alerting me to it And, I will probably never pay that much for a book again in this lifetime.

The previous really intense book search I made, for a limited printing, was for a boat book, wooden boats of course, steam boats in fact, hobby boats, took less time, however I 'did' go thru my entire list of about 40 book seller links, and I paid around $45-50 for that one as I recall - my previous high price paid for a book.

In checking prices on-line of some of the books I've had for years, and usually paid around $5-7 used, high price of about $10, at least one of those books apparently is selling for around $450, with several around $200, and a number more ranging from around $45 to $175 or so. It's been awhile since I cheked so don't know if those prices are the same or not. Actually, most of those books I intend to keep anyway, so the dollar "value" is moot. Hell, I have a reprint of one book, and even it was going for $75 when I checked years back. Oh yes, most of the books are about wooden boats.

That reminds me. Years back, my grandad had always promised me I would get a large wooden tool chest, full of hand tools - saws, wooden planes, etc. And, of course, when he died I did NOT get the chest, or any of the tools at all. The wooden planes, were sold for $1 each, there were a couple of dozen of them I believe. I don't know if they got even $100 out of the whole chest of tools. The chest was close to

3' tall, 3' wide, and probably close to 4' long. And full of tools. I doubt they even came close to 10 cents value on the dolar. So, need to be very sure my sons know my personal library should NOT be sold for the first offer, that they should be able to get a fairly substantial price them, certainly considerable more than I paid..

JOAT What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new humiliations?

- Peter Egan

Reply to
J T

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote in news:10690-46E60ECD-811@storefull-

3336.bay.webtv.net:

These days, with the information available at the touch of a button, the mortal remains of our earthly interests need not be simply shuttled aside. Almost everything can be readily researched by those who receive it when we're done with it, and shuffled off to whatever comes next.

That certainly wasn't the case years ago.

I remember you talking about your grandfather more than a couple of times. The things you did with him, the things he taught you. You can buy handplanes...

Not yellow ones, so easily, though.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Tue, Sep 11, 2007, 1:21am (EDT-1) snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcast.net (Patriarch) doth sayeth: These days, with the information available at the touch of a button, the mortal remains of our earthly interests need not be simply shuttled aside. Almost everything can be readily researched by those who receive it when we're done with it, and shuffled off to whatever comes next. That certainly wasn't the case years ago. I remember you talking about your grandfather more than a couple of times. The things you did with him, the things he taught you. You can buy handplanes... Not yellow ones, so easily, though.

IF they want to check that is. Stopped at my favorite used bookstore the other day. Been going there since about 1980. The owner said he was called to buy an extates books. While there he saw the old man's wood lathe - set up so he could work on it when he opened the garage door - he stood outside then. Anyway, lathe loadd with extras. The female half of the inherited house made sure they were dumped almost immediately, for basically an extremely low price, simply to get rid of it all. And, in the basement was a large pool table. She made it a point to say that was "going to be gotten rid of too". Kinda sad.

He was a carpenter, not a furniture maker. But you ought to see the curved glass China cabinet he made for my uncle. The only power tool he had was his table saw (probably one of the old Craftsman saws, very nice). That, a hammer, and screwdriver, are all the tools I saw him use. I suppse he might have used some planes at some time or another, but I never saw it. That China cabinet was good by anyone's standards. Come to think of it, I never saw him use a set of plans for anything either.

I never worked with any of those hand tools n the chest, and never saw him. I didn't even know about them until I was probably around

14-15, when he showed me them, and said they werld be going to me. That was somewhere around early-mid '50s And I would say there probably wasn't a tool in there even then that was newer then around the turn of the century. The molding planes were probably considerably older than that.. I don't think any of it was gotten new, money was too tight for him way back to spend good money on new tools. And it was all in good, usable, condition. Ah well, what's done is done. Just need to learn from it - which is why I don't want it to happen to my boys with the books. I figure they'll split my tools, rather than sell them - which is good, because they're not worth much anyway, but day work.

If I ever get to the position where I want to do much with handplanes, I'll probably make my own. And, I'll probably paint one the brightest yellow I can buy.