Help--I need a new newsreader

I'm not sure I understand the question ... do you mean the OS taking advantage of processor functionality, like NX, to prevent stack overflows, or their .net/xml content management/code/data separation?

Reply to
Swingman

As usual, I agree with you EP. But I think I'll stop short of the $20 part.

Just think, if Bill Gates had a nickel for every PC that ever crashed.....Oh wait, he does!!!

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

But... I maintain that this is because the world of hacking, creating viri, etc. had not reached the level of interest that is has today.

Law of large numbers. Once the phenonena became publicized, interest, copy-cats, etc. skyrocketed and the PC was the obvious target for reasons of (both) securitiy issues and popluation.

I believe it was due to both.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I like Free Agent, or Agent.

Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Yes.

Several years ago, round about when W2k came out a person whose expertise I respect pointed out that Windows stored data and code interspersed in memory so that an overflow in the data could overwrite elements of a program, or maybe even the OS. Sounds to me like he was explaining the infamous 'buffer overflow exploits' as well as why Windows crashed so much.

That type of problem was solved by pretty much everyone BUT Microsoft decades earlier by segregating data and programming in memory--Code Data Separation (CDS). I remember CDS as a compiler option for our HP a-900 (I think it was a 900) circa 1987.

So, which of those was I talking about?

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Fred the Red Shirt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@a1g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Some of this isn't an OS issue. It's a processor architectural issue. The x86 processors use a von Nuemon (sp?) architecture, where both data and instructions are transmitted on the same bus and stored in the same memory. The PIC, for example, uses a Harvard architecture where data and instructions are kept seperate.

There are x86 options now (like the NX bit) to try to solve some of the problems, but it will take a LONG LONG time to get everyone switched over. It took 10 years to get everyone switched over from the DOS-based

9x kernals to the superior NT kernal.

Oh, and don't underestimate the resourcefulness of crackers. If they post "please send me teh codez" enough, someone's bound to do it! (Just adding a bit of humour.) :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Dear Mr. Gates

Enclosed is $30 cash (cash so we can keep the IRS out of this) to show my appreciation for giving us Outlook Express for reading newsgroups. It is a fine program and does everything I could ever want.

Use the $30 to take the family out for a nice dinner. You can even super size your meal with this much money.

I was going to send you $20 and suggested to my friend Buck that he send you twenty also. Well, turns out Buck is just a cheap SOB and he didn't want to help you out. So, I'm sending extra. Maybe Buck will be shamed into sending you the other 10 dollars this way. I doubt it thought. Last time I have Buck a nickel to hold the buffalo started to cry because Buck squeezed so hard. He sure is tight with money.

Thanks again Mr. Gates and I'm looking forward to more of your free software. So is Buck but he won't write you.

Your friend Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Bill is visiting my place right now. Send me the check for $30 and I'll take him out for dinner. He's kind of skinny so I'll only need to supersize my meal if that's ok with you.

Reply to
Upscale

"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote

Yes: