How much electricity for a block party?

How much roughly** would electricity cost for a block party. I'm thinking music amplifiers for 5 or 6 hours.

Is there anything else I'm forgetting. (Any food-related stuff would be from food-trucks and have its own electricity>)

**Under a dollar, 1-3 dollars, up to 5, 10, 20 dollars?
Reply to
micky

4000 watts for 5 hours = 20 kwhr x 20 cents per = $ 4.

Charge them $ 10. and make them use their own cords because they will be stolen and/or damaged. John T.

Reply to
hubops

That's reasonable _if_ they're hooking up to standard household or small business outlets.

HOWEVER, in many areas of the country, the local utility will have tariffs for customers that hit them for _both_ "usage" *AND* for "peak demand".

So to make up numbers:

They might charge $0.10 per kw-hr, BUT also that demand charge at $40 per kilowatt. And that demand charge will apply even if the power draw was only 1/2 hour in the entire month.

So in this case... that 4 kw of demand would be another $160.

Unlikely you're in that category, but double check, first.

Reply to
danny burstein

Don't be silly. Twisted Sister isn't headlining Micky's block party. ... although his twisted sister might show up .. .. if there is mud wrestling. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I don't think there was mud-wresting.

After I restarted Windows, my newsreader, Forte-Agent 1.93 totally stopped working. When I click on the icon pinned to the taskbar or on the desktop, nothing happens except an error is posted in the event viewe, but I don't know how to read the files listed there.

And what's interesting is about two weeks ago, the same program stopped working on the other computer. Windows 10 Home and Pro, both fully updated. In fact it seems to me some change in Windows might have messed me up.

Anyhow, temporarily I'm using Xananews, but the print is too small, I don't know how it works, I don't really like what I know, and I'm not going to be able to reply to more than 1 or 2 posts, counting this thread. (It is free however.)

Unfortunately, Twisted Sister turned down my invitation, and so did 214 other rock stars, even the ones I had dated when I was an agent. What caught my attention is a block party they had on a Sunday night at a public housing place in Baltimore. After the party was over, there were shootings that made national news.

Now everyone is blaming everyone else. This party has been held once a summer for 10 or 20 years, but the woman who organiized it died, and the successors were not so organized, and it seems no one notified the housing authority or the police, although there were posters on telephone poles. I don't think if the CHA or police had known in advance it would have made much difference wrt the shootings, And the party had been a successs

But now the ity housing authority is complaining that they used electricity without notifying them in advance. And saying if it happens again, the family will be evicted and never allowed into public housing anywhere in the country. I can see that for something serious, but the block party benefitted all the residents, past residents who come back to visit their ex-neighbors. What's $4 or even $20.

The new head of the CHA, who is a young, good-looking woman, has gotten a lot of criticism, and think either she's new and feeling her oats, or there's something wrong with her.

Reply to
Micky

I've been happily using Forte Free Agent / Agent since the 1990's. If I were you, I'd simply delete all the desktop/taskbar shortcuts and start Agent directly from its Programs folder -

on my Win 10 laptop the exe file is located in the folder

C: / Program Files (x86) / Agent

file = Agent dot exe

If it works OK just re-do your shortcuts ; if not . . . dunno . . . re-install Agent ? Good luck. John T.

Reply to
hubops

ps : You might wish to keep your old familiar version of Agent if possible - my current version of Forte Agent 8.00 is my least favourite - they changed some of the drop-down menus and I find the new ones are less intuitive. And the real terrible change was to place " Get All Headers " immediately below " Get New Headers " where it can be mis-clicked and result in a tedious and time-consuming bit of rectifying. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I did try to start Agent directly from its Programs folder but it didnt' do anything, just like from the shortcut.

(I don't see any point to deleting the shortcuts. They just sit there when they're not used.)

Very valuable comments. Seriously. Thank you. For the same upgrading, I thought about going to version 8. I paid for v6 10 or 20 years ago, and I made mini versions of iirc 4, 5, and 6. And either I liked 5 better than 6, or I liked 4 better than 5. So this week I played it safe and installed 4. Forte deserves credit that the v6 license works for v5 and v4 also. I don't think all companies do that.

It did a perfect upgrade afaict so far. And while there were a lot of differences trying to do a setup from scratch, when I did this overlay, I didn't have to learn much for it to work just like 1.93.

I wanted to get 1.93 to work so I could copy the settings, but by installing 4 over 1.93, I got all the settings I could have copied anyhow.

Since 1.93 broke in both computers within 3 weeks, without crashing and in one case coinciding exactly with restarting windows, I still think something changed in Windows. There are error files written when it tries to start, but I don't know how to read them. So maybe I'll just forget 1.93. It had a 29 or 30 year run for me, which is pretty darn good.

(I did use version 0.99 for a little while, but anyone who looks at the version number knows it was meant to be temporary. It came on a CD when I opened an account with my internet provider. So did Eudora and I'm still using it.

Agent is very well designed

Reply to
micky