Heating A Shop

I'd not bet on that. The particular episode of contact cement I know about was at least that distance, probably more.

It is never the fault of the heater. It is ALWAYS the fault of the worker. Does not matter if you call it pure carelessness or just plain stupidity, it has happened. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Brad:

I use a 150,000 BTU kerosene fired salamander heater that is controlled by a portable thermostat (both units from Grainger).

The BTU's would be overkill except that they allow me to spray nitro lacquer in the winter. The lacquer is sprayed in a dedicated spray room with an explosion proof fan taking care of the exhaust. The salamander is in the main part of the shop, near the front doors and the heated air gets into the spray room via holes in the partition wall that are covered with furnace filters.

The salamander puts out enough heat that it can make up for the heated air that is exhausted by the fan.

Another nice thing about having such a powerful heater is that it can bring the shop up to a good working temperature very quickly.

Of course, if I have gluing or finishing to do, the heat has to be left on overnight or the goods have to be stored in the finishing room with some electric heaters on to keep them above sixty,

Sometimes I will plug the thermostat into an appliance timer and set that to come on about an hour before I come into the shop. That's a pretty nice feature on a cold February morning.

The critical thing to remember with the salamander is that it is an open flame heat source. In the warm weather I like to mix up lacquer in the main part of the shop, to keep the spray room less crowded. When the heater is running I do all the mixing in the spray room, with the explosion proof fan running.

I don't do much laminate work anymore but when I do I use the glue that has explosive solvents in it, so that work gets done in the spray room also.

I don't let the dust build up in the shop and I collect most of the dust at the source, so I don't worry about dust explosions.

I saw a grain silo that went up as the result of a dust explosion - hell of a mess.

Regards, Tom. Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

If an example of this is determined to actually have happened, the perpetrator / victem / dumba** could very well be a candidate for a Darwin Award!

Check out

and click on the "A Gasser of a Story" link.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Reply to
Morgans

"5. FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES

Contact Adhesive vapours will form explosive mixtures with air. Being heavier than air, vapours will concentrate and may travel for considerable distances along the ground, down stairways etc. This extends the fire and explosion hazard beyond the immediate vicinity of the workplace. Use sand or earth for containment if there is a danger of spreading or flowing. Not to be used near naked flames, sparks or hot surfaces. Do not smoke. Eliminate all sources of ignition and avoid build up of static electricity by earthing plant etc. Do not pour adhesive from plastic containers. "

"CPSC Bans Extremely Flammable Contact Adhesives WASHINGTON, DC (Dec. 9) -- A serious cause of burn injuries and deaths will be removed soon from the consumer marketplace under a nationwide ban of extremely flammable contact adhesives sold in larger than one-half pint containers. The ban was approved today by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Extremely flammable contact adhesives, popular for their quick-drying properties, have a flashpoint at 20°F or below. Because they contain high concentrations of highly flammable solvents which evaporate quickly, the products covered by the ban can ignite explosively or cause flash fires."

From TWA Flight 800 Report

"The senior NTSB scientist at Calverton hangar, Dr. Merritt Birky, chairman of the Flight 800 Fire and Explosion Group, said the "brown to reddish-brown-colored material? he sent to NASA for testing was "consistent with a polychloroprene 3M Scotch-Grip 1357 High Performance contact adhesive.?"

Regards, Tom. Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

And the color of the sky on your planet is?

On this planet it's McDonalds fault for spilled coffee and the growing overweight problem.

I would like to live on your planet but I couldn't blame Beck's for my beer gut.

Here's something not addressed in this thread or I believe properly realized. At least by anyone other than myself (sorry if I missed it).

When things go wrong.

It's one thing to use flammables, what happens when the can falls over? Can't say that's an unforeseen circumstance.

I was working at a propane company. My boss pulls a bobtail into the shop and starts working on the metering system without bleeding off the plumbing. Suddenly there is a huge white cloud making it's way to the standing pilot water heater. And the Heater was a good 10 feet off the ground. The breeze was from the back of the shop and the doors were open, that's the only reason we didn't blow up.

He later said there wasn't suppose to be propane there. "There" housed the mechanism that wasn't working properly. No Kidding. That's Dumb. Stupid was pulling the truck into the shop in the first place.

Reply to
Mark

Great. I guess we all have to suffer because of other's stupidity.

Reply to
Morgans

so will 1/2", our "gardening shed" (need to fool the revenuers) is about

60' from the tank. 1/2" all the way and it has worked well for 3 seasons now.

BRuce

Morgans wrote:

Reply to
BRuce