A question -- Waterlox on white oak -- how dark does it make it?

I'm considering using Waterlox Original as the only finish on an unfinished kitchen table made of white oak. Certainly I'll be testing whatever I use on the underside of a leaf, but I was curious if the product changes the color of the oak beyond that which would be expected with the application of any "wet" substance.

Reply to
Ladd Morse

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

Reply to
Anonymous

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:42:27 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@his.com (Ladd Morse) brought forth from the murky depths:

Go for it. It should hold up unless you set flaming pots on it.

No, and AAMOF, it lightens as it dries. It's not quite as dark dry as it is wet. Great stuff. I still haven't used it with enough coats to fill oak pores, but if you're like me, you like oak FOR the pores. It cleans surprisingly well.

-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Everything I've read says that the finish is pretty durable, but always nice to get another opinion!

Back in the old days (last month) when I was considering following the advice of the unfinished furniture store to use multiple coats of Zar water-based poly, my wife and I looked at the stain samples and decided to use the stain that was one darker than using no stain at all. Just a bit more of a "golden oak"-type coloration.

Now that I'm pretty sure I'm not going the water-based poly finish route, I'm thinking that the slight coloration of the natural -finish Waterlox might substitute for the stain.

I guess that's what testing is for! :-)

Reply to
Ladd Morse

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out that product if the coloration I get from several applications of Waterlox on the white oak isn't what I want.

Reply to
Ladd Morse