Hearing protection

Naturopathic medicine uses a teapot like device, called a Neti Pot, for that exact purpose.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Of course, this same old dude used to gargle turpentine, too.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That just tells me that the table was poorly designed.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

Reply to
Pat Barber

Or the dinner party. (two many guests) :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Not something for the woodworker, but the company I work for makes the communications gear that football coaches use on the sidelines. It's basically a full-duplex two way radio system (with a wired intercom interface). While not intended as hearing protection, one of the markets for a similar system is heavy construction, where hands-free communications is the primary need. I've suggested adding active noise cancellation but current headphones don't allow it.

Reply to
krw

There are a number of products on the market that allow you to hear normal level noise but block louder noises.

If you are a subscriber to Fine Woodworking's website, you can view this:

you prefer muffs or plugs? Here's a basic earmuff that attenuates loud noises but lets conversation through:
's an over the ear plug option:
is a plug that reduces volume but lets conversation through

Jim Weisgram

That design has been aggressively marketed to musicians.

Regular foam plugs are a musician's worst case scenario. Since they don't cut out all frequencies equally, leaving you with a muffled sound, all muddy and thuddy.

Those are designed to attenuate all frequencies evenly. In theory, it has the effect of turning the volume knob down, instead of going into the next room, which is what foam plugs sound like. :-)

If you can't find them or want a better price, check some music stores for the same product under different brand names.

As a drummer, I never have to look far for hearing protection. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

closely resembles one at Rochler, mentioned earlier. It looks appropriate for me. Thanks! -Bill

> Here is a plug that reduces volume but lets conversation through >

Bill