Hearing protection

Since I bought myself a pocket size MP3 player and 'in the ear canal' isolating earphones I never use a power tool, indoors or outdoors, without the protection and sensory enjoyment afforded by the 'phones.

Now Playing: Bill Sheffield - Live at the Blue Raccoon

tb

Reply to
tommyboy

Got a set of "Work Tunes" hearing protection ear muffs and a FM transmitter like you use in a car. I can now listen to AM and FM radio, CD's or my mp3 player. Works well the hearing protection is equal to most of the other hearing protectors I have used and the sound quality on the Work Tunes is fair to good, it encourages me to keep them on most of the time. The range on the FM transmitter is about 30 feet so it is not to bad.

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Prescription safety glasses with side shields go on as soon as I am in the shop.

I also insert foam ear plugs, or I use an MP3 play with ear buds that do a modest job of sealing outside sound. If I use a router or other loud item or feel the need to turn up the volume, I put on my Peltor earmuffs. They are comfortable enough.

Where I fall down is using the dust mask often enough.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

... snip

Ask older folks about hatchets and youngsters.

i.e., the answer is "yes". My grandparents spoke of several people their age who had amputated their own fingers while chopping kindling, sticks, or other items.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Band saws can throw THEMSELVES. Guess you never had a blade snap yet.

Reply to
ken scharf

Always for the router. Usually for the table saw and the hammer drill (especially into concrete!). Also for the shop vac! (its *LOUD*). I have had a nice pair of David Clark hearing protectors that came with my H10-30 headset. At one time they were good enough to use next to loud airplane engines, but the earpads and foam lining have worn out. (wonder if David Clark has replacement parts).

Reply to
ken scharf

Do tell? I had lots of blades snap on my old 3 wheeler and one on my new-ish 19" two wheeler so far, but it's always been a moderately suppressed 'boofffffffffffff' noise and the blade coming to an immediate full stop with the motor keeping on running. Never seen anything flinging or flung at all when that happens. ?!?

I'm curious -P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Try aircraftspruce.com or sportys.com. I've seen DC replacement parts all over the place.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Apart from being rather loud and startling (sometimes to the point where a change of underwear is necessary) I've never had the blade wrap around my neck or had my finger nicked or anything like that.

Reply to
Steve Turner

Yes, they do. There are parts lists on their Web site and some parts can even be ordered online.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I had one snake out of the machine and spring off the table.

Reply to
phorbin

I also have tinnitus, - for the same reason. Playing in bands in the 60's & 70's. Mostly Rock. Louder the better. We could feel the air displacement standing in front of the speakers. I ended up with an 8 channel solid state 300W Roland deck driving two Huge SP1 Peavey boxes with horns and a box with eight 10 inch Celestions. My guitar was then overdriven through a WEM Copicat with the gain cranked up high to give distortion through the valves.

It was just full on noise. We were terrible! The audience didn't seem to care. We couldn't hear normal conversation for a while after a show. I must admit, I had the best time! Memories that can still bring a smile. Would do it all again. : )

These days, it's hearing protection always whenever I'm working. The industry I'm in, (mining and construction,) has regular mandatory hearing tests, which I *just* manage to pass. Fortunately, the tinnitus and hearing loss has not got any worse in recent years.

Diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Compared to what a table saw is capable on any cut the risk from a broken band saw blade is pretty small. The blade is in the machine housing all but the throat, there is an upper guide that comes down to within about a 1/2" of the work and the rest of the blade is in the work. If it breaks it loses velocity *very* rapidly and really only presents an issue directly to the sides of the blade path.

I have to admit that I've hurt myself far worse with a handsaw than with any power tool. The worst "power tool" injury I've gotten is just about concussing myself standing up and cracking my head on the table saw extension. Now that smarts!

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

That ranks right up there with hitting the center of your kneecap on the support of a dining room table as you slide your chair in.

Reply to
-MIKE-

And then there is missing the nail with a hammer and hitting your thumb (or some other part of your hand).

Reply to
ken scharf

I bought a couple of simple dust masks and try to remember to use them when cutting 'synthetic' wood products such as plywood, fiber board, etc. Also when cutting 'PT', or any stuff that contains nasty chemicals. Though just plane old sawdust can be bad enough. You know when you should have worn a dust mask after your 'snot' is full of sawdust.

Reply to
ken scharf

"ken scharf" wrote

Reminds me of working with my grandfather building a garage with recycled nails.

Everytime I missed the steel nail and hit some flesh, he would say, 'Hit the wrong nail?"

I still miss him after all these years. For him, work was an honor. He did it well and made us feel good to participate in his projects with him.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Failing to wear a dusk mask is almost certain to leave me susceptible to a sinus infection of some kind. If I've fallen down and forgotten to use one (and as you say, you blow your nose and your snot is full of dust) I go straight into the bathroom and use one of these:

as hell the first time you use one, but I tell you what - it

*works*. Cleans all that crap right out, and I've never once gotten another dust induced nasal infection since I've started using them.
Reply to
Steve Turner

We used to snort warm salt water and get it all running though the nasal cavity and coming down through the mouth. Learned it from an old dude. Gross, but worked like a charm. I do it every now and then when I get stuffed up and I'm surprised at how well it works.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I think that is termed autowaterboarding. snort, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn