A limited or absent warranty doesn't mean ssomething doesn't work.

Some in the antivaxx crowd have latched on to the disclaimers that come on mask packaging. They work backwards illogically to mistakenly conclude that if the item doesn't promise to work, that means it doesn't work. Two of them post to my local NextDoor. I got emails about them but both posts were gone by the time 3 or 4 horus later when I had time to read them. Removed by sane moderators.

But I answered them anyhow:

Let me add that there are disclaimers on the boxes or wrappers that masks come in because they don't give 100% protection and without the disclaimer, people who did get sick, even when it was there own fault, would sue the mask maker. They would probably lose (reasons below) but the maker would have to hire a lawyer, spend company time in "discovery", etc. It might be the wearer's own doing, or even his own fault, because he didn't wear the mask all the time he should, he wore it below his nose, he pulled it partly off to talk (which is not necessary. If they can't understand you, just talk louder), he took it off to eat in a public place, he didn't wear it when he was home but someone in his family got sick elsewhere and gave it to him. And I'm sure I've left out other reasons.

If a disclaimer says No protection**, instead of Only partial protection, that's what their lawyer recommended so they won't have to fight in court about how much protection there should have been, how much there was, in addition to if that's why you're sick, and what the damages should be. **[Someone provided a picture of the cheap blue pleated paper masks. I'm sure they provide some protection but I would not use something so flimsy. I wore N95 until the 3 I had got old and now I have KN95.]

But the disclaimer doesn't make the masks any less protective, any more than a warranty on a cellphone that is only for one year means the phone won't work just as well when the year is over.

People who claim that masks don't work because there are disclaimers are making a big logical mistake and they don't understand how the legal system influences what is written. But the masks still work well. That's why the infection and death rates following surgery went down so much when surgeons started wearing masks

I'm not a lawyer but... There are disclaimers on just about everything you buy, but we've stopped reading them. Many are contained within the warranty information, for small and large appliances and many many other things. What looks like the manufacturer is going beyond the call of duty is often the opposite. The 2-year warranty may sound like a long time, but it is likely a limitation on the common law warranty or a UCC warrantyh which has no particular end time and could be interpreted, by the user or by a a court, to be far longer than 2 years. I think radios should last at least 20 years and I have radios that still work after 90 years (my uncle gave them to me.) Ninety. So these warranties are mostly disclaimers, but I don't disapprove of that. If they had repair or replace a radio that failed after 19 years, they'd have to charge more for the radio in the first place.

And if they let people think that masks were certain to prevent you from getting sick, a) that would be immoral, and b) instead of $3 dollars masks would be $300, to pay all the legal expenses that would follow. And not only that, c) people would relax the other precautions they should be taking. (They've found when they started including airbags or maybe it was ABS brakes or some other safety feature in cars, that some people just drove faster because they thought they were safer. They were safer until they drove faster.)

Reply to
micky
[snip]

I'd rather have a mask that provides "99% protection" than one with "no protection". Some things do have such notices, like the hand sanitizer that kills 99.9% of germs.

BTW, I also have one of the Chinese ones where it's "kiss 99.9% germs".

[snip]

I've had this TV for about 10 years, with no problems. It came with a

1-year warranty.

Also I have a microwave that's close to 25 years old. The only problem it's had was a blown fuse, and I fixed that (69 cent part from Radio Shack).

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Well I suppose the first thing you have to do is look at what N-95 means Assuming this is a certified N-95 mask it means it is 95% effective on

0.3 micron particles WHEN IT IS NEW. Carry it around in your pocket using it off and on for a week and it is nowhere near that effective. Plus it is contaminated with the infection you are trying to protect you and others from. You can also note the Corona virus is a third the size of the particle the mask can stop 95% of. The longer it sits on the mask, the more likely it will get through or simply cross contaminate other things. With that in mind you are much better off buying a box of imitation surgical masks on Ebay and using them once. It is still just virtue signaling in most situations.
Reply to
gfretwell

I bought a box of 50 for $20 when the county edict was imminent. They got me into CostCo so they fulfilled their task.

"Individuals must be clean-shaven to be fit tested, and also to wear an N95 or any other type of tight-fitting respirators effectively."

That leaves me out.

Reply to
rbowman

I bought a 16 year old truck with no warranty 9 years ago. I've spent less on it than many friends who bought new trucks with warranty 9 years ago.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The closest I've had to a new car my brother bought new and lent to me, then gave to me, when he went to Viet Nam.

The large fresh air vent doors in the kick panels were never connected to the controls, and the vents were always closed.

The steering wheel was mounted upside down so that turning only 90^, then starting back would turn off the turn signal. I had a hard time believing this one when I noticed it. (It looked better** upside down than it did right-side up, so I drilled a hole in the hub to enable the turn signals to work right and kept it upside down. **That might be why the installer mounted it upside down, but then why was it designed wrong?)

The car often enough couldn't start. The dealer claimed to replace the starter, the battery, and the alternator twice each but it still had the same problem. (My brother didn't mention the regulator, but none of them were the problem anyhow.) By then the 2-year warranty had ended and dealer wouldn't do anything more. I took it to Sears for a new battery and they found the problem in 5 minutes for free. Dirty connection between the battery cable and the starter solenoid. (I know this was the problem because it continued to happen whenver I forgot to turn the headlights off, but I could fix it in 30 seconds without even getting dirty.)

Driver's window channel adjustment screw not tightened which, when tightened, curved the channel so that it fit the curved window. When not curved, the window woudn't fit in the channel. Still went up and down but rattled and wobbled when open or partly open.

Driver's window 3/4" from the roof, front to back. Rained in. Convertible top looked okay to me. Don't know what was wrong. Used 6 layers of GE silicone to extend the top sideways.

Hose from carbuetor to vacuum advance on distributor totally missing. So my brother couldn't leave a stop sign without lurching. Neither could I until I was standing on the bumper and I just happened to notice one end that had no hose on it. (Neither did where the other end was supposed to go.)

All this in a car bought new.

Said I'd never buy another car like that, then bought one just like it but two years newer, which had no problems at all! 7 years old, 1967 car, bought in '74, $650.

Reply to
micky

They were new masks, new gloves, eye protection, the wash their hands every 5 minutes and they still get infected.

Reply to
gfretwell

A face shield got me into any store, even during the height of the panic. Costco employees wear face shields.,

Me too. You still get to signal your virtue tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

The only vehicles that have warranties here are the ones my wife buys new. That was two out of dozen or more that have rolled through here. Warranty never fixed a thing for us.

Reply to
gfretwell

They wear them once and throw them away and NOBODY wears a cloth one in the HCF industry.

Reply to
gfretwell

You're making broad assumptions there. The virus for the most part does not travel as a virus, it rides on aerosols that are liquid. What happens after that stuff, which is likely mucous like, sits there and dries out, who knows. It could just dry and any virus stays stuck.

The vast majority of the scientific and medical community disagree. It they are wrong, what's the harm? People are slightly inconvenienced by wearing masks. If you're wrong, more people get sick, more productivity is lost, we have greater hospitalization costs, people die and the pandemic goes on longer. Seems like an easy decision to me.

Reply to
trader_4