hard maple vs soft maple - is one or the other preferred?

I guess I got a deal on my hard maple then, paid $3.20 or so a bd/ft and it is undoubtedly crispy white. I must admit I picked through about 1500 board feet to get my 600 bd ft. But the color was pretty consistent as I was checking with a block plane during the picking, I guess it depends on where its grown - this stuff was from central Pennsylvania around Williamsport. The soft was about $2.35.

Reply to
biggmutt53

So vent your dryer into a filter and recapture both heat and moisture like we do.

Reply to
George

Hard maple is much more common in some locations because soft goes for hardwood pulp. Pulp goes by the pound, and soft maple, because it runs to larger darker heartwood than hard, and is heavier than aspen or conifers, is a better pulp load but worse sawlog.

Reply to
George

let me say this YOU SUCK!

soft maple costs me $5.15 and thats at the cheepest place in town. your getting soft maple at the same price I get poplur, the only thing I can get cheaper is fir/pine and that's not much cheaper

so a BIG YOU SUCK to all easterners, with your cheep hard wood. and no the Apolati> I guess I got a deal on my hard maple then, paid $3.20 or so a bd/ft

Reply to
Richard Clements

Maybe not, but they sure have your rocky crags licked for genetic diversity.

Reply to
Silvan

Neither are the appellations. Now, the Appalachians, they are at least some tall hills (says someone who grew up in the Rocky Mountain state).

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Those larger syrup producers use reverse osmosis to get rid of the first

90% of the water. I attend the festivals around here every year (SW Ontario) I eat maple syrup pancakes till I wobble.
Reply to
sandman

Three years ago I had the chance to take a church in Ohio, right in the middle of hardwood forests. Thought about it seriously just because it was closer to lots of good wood. Ended up in Central Oregon. There is a reason this is called "high desert". Sagebrush and Juniper.

But the mountains *are* nice.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass responds:

I just finished writing an article about a vacation home in Amherst County, VA. Up a mountainside. It is steep enough that the road (dirt and winding) was kicking my S10's rear end out on the switchbacks. I'd liked to have been up there in the fall. Gorgeous area. Two pileated woodpeckers nearby as I drove back down. And, the real reward, I could still BREATHE when I got near the top!

Charlie Self "He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self