hand tool storage

Here I am again staring at the small mountain of hand tools on a shelf in my shop, wondering what the best solution would be for wall-mounting them. I bought the magnetic thing but the magnets are too weak. Most other systems require a configuration for each type of tool. In trying to picture the "ultimate" system, I see either a linear arrangement of pouches or a big rectangle of them, with the pouches themselves being similar to what you'd find in the five gallon bucket systems, made of heavy clear plastic so the tools can be seen. Haven't found anything on the internet yet.

Reply to
edswoods.1

I have a couple of the magnetic tool holders.

're rated for 20#/in - plenty strong enough to hold even larger heavier tools. I could hang my Stanley #7 from them, but I don't.

RicodJour

I don't like the idea of plastic to hold tools. Plastic is famous for trapping moisture. Rust will not be far behind.

If you must a transparent cover, perhaps some form of acrylic sheet with LOTS of vent holes to make sure no moisture gets trapped.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I don't like the idea of plastic either - in addition to potential moisture issues, I can picture it tearing quite easily, especially if used with any pointy or sharp or heavy tools. If you do go with plastic, I'd use a fabric or mesh backing for the pockets, and see if you can figure out some way of reinforcing the attachment points and bottoms of pockets. Who knows - it could work well - let us know. If you want an inexpensive, temporary solution of this type to try, you could look for one of the "grandma's closet door shoe-pocket hangers", something like this:

use one of these organizers for little household stuff like shoe polish, flashlight batteries, sunscreen, and other stuff that's not used often but is nice to keep accessible. As far as shop storage, my frequently-changing hand tool storage system currently consists of the following: Pegboard hooks for pliers, wrenches, squares, drill, earmuffs, glasses, etc. Pegboard hoops for screwdrivers Magnetic strip for chisels Home-made magnetic strip with rare earth magnets in a strip of poplar for hand saws (this way the teeth aren't touching metal) Small shelves for hand planes (the nicer ones are kept in "plane socks") Various other shelves, toolbox drawers, hooks, and screws in the ceiling hold a variety of other tools. Hope this helps, Andy

Reply to
Andy

" snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Why not just use pegboard and hooks? You can get some stuff that's plenty strong to hold your hammers (heaviest hand tool I can think of at the moment that I'd hang), as well as being completely reconfigurable on demand.

Want a screwdriver holder? You can make a simple one that fits into the pegboard and either attaches to the hooks or is held on by bolts.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Why not a tool box?

Reply to
Leon

Thanks for taking the time to post this link, that's pretty much what I had in mind. In the meantime I just put up a couple of shelves and have everything laid out operating-room style.

Reply to
edswoods.1

What kind of hand tools are you talking about?

Storage needs of gardening tools, lawn and auto maintenance and maybe some DIY plumbing and electrical stuff are far different than say wood working "bench tools" - chisels, mallets, hand saws, layout tools etc..

For woodworking tools, a hanging wall cabinet and a drawer unit built under the woodworking bench can do wonders for the way you work - less time hunting tools down, more time spent using them and easy to put back in their home when not in use.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I'm slowly changing all of my shop storage from open shelves and pegboard, to rollaways, drawers, and cabinets.

Open storage simply collects to much dust, overspray, etc... All shelving and cubbies will now get doors, and tools will go in drawers or boxes.

Yard sale dressers are cheaply available and awesome for shop storage.

Reply to
B A R R Y

My problem is that there is not enough wall space. ;~) Walls are for leaning scrap plywood against.

Reply to
Leon