Groz box lid finish?

Does anyone participating here have an idea what process Groz uses to finish their box lids?

I've noticed the boxes in which various Groz tools come. The sides are kind of so-so and the bottom seems to be completely unfinished but the top has a smooth, very slightly wavy high gloss finish that appears on close examination to be anywhere from thin to nonexistent at the edges.

I'm sure given the price of the tools that they don't have a bunch of gnomes hand-sanding and polishing these things, and it's not quite smooth enough for that anyway, but whatever they're doing achieves a pretty good result on that one surface with what I assume to be minimal labor, so I was wondering if anybody knew what process they were using.

Reply to
J. Clarke

SNIP

I would bet a lotta dough that it is some kind of lacquer, just for the reasons you noted above. In their production environment they need a product that goes on quickly, dries fast and leaves a pretty good finish. I think the high gloss finish would be another tip in this direction.

So it is probably some kind of pre-cat lacquer. Of course keeping in mind that Groz is an economically friendly tool, they may not be using precat but a thinned, low res lacquer. In my mind I am seeing long rows of boxes coming down a belt with an operator spraying all sides and top - no bottom.

Even if it is precat - this test may work. Put a large drop of lacquer thinner in an unobtrusive place, and let it sit on the finish. You may need to add another drop on top of the one you initially place, but keep it wet for about 6-8 hours. If it dissolves the finish, it is likely that it is some form of lacquer.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Robert,

AOL returned my response to an email you sent to me, not liking the "nailshooter41" address. What am I doing wrong?

64.12.138.89 does not like recipient. Remote host said: 550 MAILBOX NOT FOUND Giving up on 64.12.138.89.

Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

Barry - at one time the spambots were able to harvest addresses easily on the newsgroups. I don't know if it was the ISP (AOL) I was using or host provider for the group, but I used to my name and real address.... I was flooded out in no time. So I changed my ISP and kept the name registered here by using Google to read and post. No spam.

If you want to contact me, use

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net

and take out "the" and "trash".

Robert