Good source for overstock or lightly used cabinets in Boston area?

I want to add some storage cabinets in my basement both near the laundry sink to store various paints and cleaners and in my shop itself to store tools and parts.

My thinking is that I would be better off buying a good quality kitchen-type cabinet that is either an overstock or cosmetically damaged or even used than buying a new home center type workshop cabinet. I don't care much about color or style but more about quality and of course getting a size that fits and meets my needs.

Any ideas on good sources in general and in the Boston area in particular?

I went to an outlet store (Grossman's) and their stuff is just cheap stuff that they order regularly rather than overstock or odd lots.

Thanks

Reply to
blueman

Post a wanted ad on Craigslist?

Reply to
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH t

Habitat for Humanity ReStore, where they sell donated ripout material and donated old stock/floor samples from real supply houses. Stock changes constantly, so you may need to make it a weekly stop for several weeks, but odds are something suitable will turn up. And their prices are great.

Craig's List website is also usually a good spot. They even have a 'material' category where most of the building material seems to show up.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Many years ago I found that a local cabinet company had an inventory of "oops" cabinets. Plumbing access hole in the wrong side, custom cabinets that were too big or too small for the intended space. Call around and ask. I did a whole laundry room that way with hanging units and floor cabinets.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Something to consider! I remodeled our kitchen about 20 years ago and the old top cabinets still reside in my garage for storage. They are not high quality but they still look and work fine.

Keep in mind that these prefab type cabinets and especially the cheaper ones do not/may not have adjustable shelving. Mine have fixed shelving and I cannot stack 2, 1 quarts cans on top of each other and as a result the wasted space is considerable. Additionally the upper cabinets tend to be shallow as compared to a cabinet you might build for the purposes you are looking for.

Reply to
Leon

Checked used office furniture outlets for 4 high filing cabinets.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett