good example of using ropes for porch swing

this is a nice example

would probably trim the eye bolt ends but that is minor

might even turn a small finial to cover the ey bolt ends

well it still uses chains to hang the whole thing but the ropes are a nice detail

Reply to
Electric Comet

How about eliminating the too-long, unsightly eyebolts .. Run the rope through a rope-sized hole & tie a knot ? John T.

hubops

not a bad idea saves money too because the eye bolts and nuts add to the cost

but it might be hard to get the knots just right so the swing is level

although the leveling could be done at the top where it attaches to the chains going into the porch

Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:n7ou2v$ei7$1 @dont-email.me:

Put deadeyes in and then you can adjust to your hearts content. Plus it would look very nautical.

(being serious for a moment, I think if you ran the rope thru a hole you might have problems with chafing).

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Not so much the knots being in the right place..... I've tried using rope t o hang swings, before.... the problem with rope is that it stretches..... t hough I have not used rope as big (diameter) as what's in your link. A we ighted swing (persons on the swing) will add weight to a (potentially) stre tching/stretchable rope.

Rope might look good, but I, after my experience with it for hanging swings , would recommend using chains. A possible option: One could try twisting rope around a chain and see what it looks like, if a rustic appearance is the/a goal.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

true that really any rope will stretch with enough force applied

good quality sisal should not stretch if properly size matched

rope would be more work to get right

not a bad idea at all smaller rope could be woven in and thru the chain links

i have also seen colored plastic coverings over chains but no idea what that costs

Reply to
Electric Comet

Lack of punctuation makes it hard to tell exactly with it is you're trying to say ... but I do know one thing for damned sure:

Ain't no way in hell you've ever dallied a rope around a saddle horn with a 900lb steer on the other end ...

Reply to
Swingman

You may have hit the nail on the head. I seriously doubt that he knows what he wants to day either, hence no punctuation and hoping some one will figure it out for him/it.

Reply to
Leon

When we were children, if we didn't use punctuation the teacher would hand back our assignment and we'd have to redo it and turn it in again.

I think we should take that approach with this guy. No one should answer any of his questions or reply to anything he says until he decided to punctuate his $h!t. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I do my best to ignore him.

Reply to
Leon

here is a good example of exactly that idea warms up the swing a little

Electric Comet

Or, do a proper eye splice with a thimble, and affix with a U-bolt. You get better strength from the rope that way.

Reply to
whit3rd

Mike you just want to run up to da comet and smack him with a ruler, metal edge no doubt? Just like the nuns did.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

What kind of rope were you using? It makes a difference. Nylon has lots of stretch, dacron, polypropylene and natural fibers not so much. Then there's Kevlar and Spectra that are close to steel in stretch or lack of same.

Getting the knot positioned is in part a matter of using the right knot. Take a look in the "Stoppers" section of .

Reply to
J. Clarke