Glueing a shellaced surface

We've got some pre-shellaced plywood that we need to glue more plywood to the surface. Will any glue work, will no glue work, will a special glue work???

Any ideas?

Thanks, Peter

Reply to
Peter

Any glue that you use will only stick to the shellac. The shellac to wood bond is the most strength the joint will have. In that case, glue it with more shellac. It will be weak but no weaker than any other glue you use.

Reply to
CW

To get a good bond, the shellac will have to be removed or an alternative method used. Shellac is used by some woodworkers to put on surfaces where they don't want the glue to stick (through tenons for example), so I'm pretty sure you're going to have problems if you try to apply glue over the shellac.

As an alternative, could you cut biscuit slots and use biscuits? If you're gluing face-to-face, face-frame ("FF") biscuits should work okay. If you're edge-gluing the plywood, then biscuits are probably called for already and would be ideal. If biscuits won't work, then I'm sorry, but I don't have a suggestion.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge