My new router table

I do love my new baby! Now, all I have to do is figure out WHAT the heck a router table does!!!

mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:RImdnbenKbNJAdfZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Looks good.

I assume that the fence is fairly accurate and you can replicate a particular setting without too much trouble??

And I couldn't help but notice that your saw is positioned close to a door without any casters. Does this mean that you can only cut on it when the door is open?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote in message news:RImdnbenKbNJAdfZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Nice looking setup. Can I assume it easily moves away from the wall so you have room to work with longer pieces? What does a router table do? IMO, it does more than a hand held. I rarely use my hand router, preferring the table 95% of the time. Stable and accurate.

As for the fence, I don't know if the rule setup is good, bad or neutral. The fence does not have to be parallel to anything like on a saw, it revolves around the bit, just a point, not a plane. You may want to consider either splitting the fence or putting a hole in it for dust collection.

I use a shop vac attached to my Benchdog fence and it get most of the chips when using an edge treatment but does nothing for a blind cut.

I'm sure you will get much use out of it. Enjoy!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Yes, it moves easily. The dust collection mechanism you linked to is a good example of what I need to do. Since I'm attaching to the tablesaw fence, what I plan on doing is building a small boxed area between the two existing MDF boards in place. Then I can position the vacuum hose pretty much as shown in the picture you gave the link to.

Dust dust dust! Boy, those things do gen the dust, don't they. Dust collector or not, I have to remember to wear a face mask when doing this.

I agree with you on the percentage of usage between hand and table routing. Quite frankly, I just don't have the physical dexterity to hold the router well enough to get as clean a cut. Of course, the hand helds are essential when plunging. But I've done that so rarely, I almost forget what plunging is for!

Jack

Edw> "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote

Reply to
mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.ne

Nice work but don't you think having the fence control opposite the feed position is a little inconvenient?

Reply to
CW