Glue for shop-made veneer

I've finally perfected my technique for making 1/16" quartersawn oak veneer, but now I need some advice on gluing it to the substrate. There will be two pieces side by side, about 30" long, for shelves. The substrate is 5/8" plywood.

I've made a veneer press, so I will be cold pressing the veneer to the substrate. But because my veneer is much thicker than the store-bought variety I'm not sure about the bect way to glue it. I'm thinking of using the new Titebond cold press glue. Should I use veneer tape, or with such thick veneer can I just spread the glue out, position the veneer, and put in the press to dry?

Bob

Reply to
crwisch

Care to share that technique? I'd love to have some.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'd use tape since the purpose of tape is to align and hold the veneer edges so you can glue them together before gluing all to whatever.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I have questions, not answers.

  1. How you makin' veneer?
  2. How many 1/16th" slices do you get from some good figure before you get to plain looking wood?

The reason I ask # 2 is I never seem to se a QS WO board that has even similar pattern on each side and I'm mostly dealing w/ 4/4. Also, I resawed a piece of 4/4 and the figure at the center of the board was very different than at either face. In fact b y the time I sanded out my saw marks you can hardly tell the two pieces are bookmatched. I actually though I screwwed up and reversed onpiece but realized it was just that the patter changed so quickly.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com