Anyone else notice the nice dovetails on the Pope's Coffin?

Relatively simple design, but very nice looking. I heard on the radio this morning it is made of Cypress. It is installed in a zinc container, and that inside another walnut case. I am curious to see the details on that, although it may be very modest too.

The Pope was truly a great man, as evidenced by the turnout and attention given to him this week and at his funeral.

Reply to
Joe Wilding

I commented on that this morning to my wife and she berated me for never thinking about anything but woodworking. Oh well. It really was a nice, simple yet elegant approach that I thought fitted the ideals that the Pope represented.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I did!!!!

I thought it was odd that the tails were on the end. The tapered sides would make execution a bit more of a challenge.

I thought the simplicity of the box sent a nice message.

-Steve (Not a catholic)

Reply to
Stephen M

Noticed them too.

Reply to
patrick conroy

Even though I'm not Catholic everyone has to respect him for always standing up for what is right and not being afraid to express it. He provided great leadership and guidance for the world.

I retired from TWA, we would configured one of our aircraft specially for him on various accessions for his Papal Journeys about the world. It was a great honor to be selected to serve him.

He will be a tough legend to follow.

Don Dando

Reply to
Don Dando

Noticed them also. Simple design with the nice taper. I bet someone took a lot of pride in doing that job.

My wife had it on in the bedroom. She said it was just like being in church. I woke her up too late to see the beginning and I was asleep most of the time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I just KNEW that someone was going to comment here. I mentioned it to LOML and sorta like Mike in Mystic's SWMBO, her eyes rolled back into her head and she walked off with a sigh. Anybody here thought about making their own coffin? grimace, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Yes, I have. I've thought about designing it as a curio cabinet for use now, take out the shelves and put me in when the time comes. Seems silly to spend a lot of money on a box that goes into the ground never to be seen again. Cremation is a better option so I may just make an urn or box of some sort. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I also noticed. The varnish was also excellent.

Reply to
scott_z500

I have every intention of making my own pine box. Is it creepy to go ahead and make my wife's as well?

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

"Highland Pairos" wrote in news:Piy5e.3138$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

Only if you don't tell her, and she had no short range usage plans...

Reply to
Patriarch

I've made a few cremation caskets. Stopped doing it now - every time I finished one, another relative died.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes. Did you notice the miter on the Pope himself?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Just in time ... I needed a good laugh! Thanks.

Reply to
Swingman

I was a pall bearer three weeks ago at my great uncles funeral (a woodworker himself) and while he didn't make it the coffin was stunning and made of Pecan.... May have to get my hands on some.

Allen Catonsville, MD

Reply to
Allen Epps

Yes, it looked very nice and simple. My plan is to make a similar casket for myself and leave it to my kids to glue together when needed.

The Pope was indeed a man of God.

Dave

Teamcasa

Mine's gonna have fake dovetails cut out of contrasting wood

-grain tape to cover the nail heads.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Same here. Nice!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I am glad to hear that I am not alone. I found myself sitting there looking at it and thinking the woodworker who built this coffin was 1. very honored at being given the job, 2. was evidently a master at his trade, and 3. an artist beyond compare. I too wondered about walnut outer coffin. Since it was the last in the series and then put in the ground under St. Peter's, we will never see it. I would be willing to bet long odds that if the same craftsman built it, that it too is beautiful. Beej

Reply to
Beej-in-GA

Nice DT's, but it looked like a polyurethane finish to me. The shiny plastic look was ... unfortunate.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood