Anyone else notice the nice dovetails on the Pope's Coffin?

I didn't get a close look and thought it was a simple alternating board design. Did notice the knots though. Altogether it was elegant by virtue of its modesty, like JP II himself.

Reply to
fredfighter

't Google great?

News reports seem to say cypress, but it sure looks like pine.

Steve

Reply to
Steven and Gail Peterson

On something like a hope chest the tails are on the long sides, front and back, because if there are handles they are on the short sides (the ends). The dovetails keep the ends from pulling out as the chest is lifted. On a coffin or casket, the handles are on the long sides so it makes sense to put the tails on the short sides (the ends). This would also help if the taper was accomplished by bending the wood a bit.

Reply to
fredfighter

Thanks. Now comes the planning on what style I would like for my remains.

John

Reply to
John

on 4/14/2005 12:57 PM John said the following:

Extra well done, John. Anything less and you won't fit AND cause an environmental concern

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused