Gloat (update on CNC joinery)

In an earlier thread I mentioned that I'd been tinkering with a small

3-1/2 axis CNC joinery machine to gnaw on the ends of boards.

Since then I continued refining the design (the step size is now down to 0.00042 on all axes) and wondering if anyone would want to have one of the darned things when/if I ever got done tinkering...

This morning I received my first order for a "J-Bot", with the possibility of a follow-on order for two more.

Life is good.

Morris Dovey

"Morris Dovey" wrote in news:a47Ef.20$3E5.208 @news.uswest.net:

Morris, not only do You Suck, but I believe that you have exceeded your maximum gloatage for the *year* with this!

Good on ya!

Reply to
John Thomas

What would the capabilities of the unit. How much would it cost? What kind of files would work with it? Proe, Solidworks,IGES etc?

Reply to
Vijay Kumar

| Morris Dovey wrote: || In an earlier thread I mentioned that I'd been tinkering with a || small 3-1/2 axis CNC joinery machine to gnaw on the ends of boards. || || Since then I continued refining the design (the step size is now || down to 0.00042 on all axes) and wondering if anyone would want to || have one of the darned things when/if I ever got done tinkering... || || This morning I received my first order for a "J-Bot", with the || possibility of a follow-on order for two more. || || Life is good. || | What would the capabilities of the unit. How much would it cost? | What kind of files would work with it? Proe, Solidworks,IGES etc?

Vijay...

I appreciate your interest - but the wreck isn't the place for promoting (one's own) products. Sales are still limited to local customers - people close enough for me to visit and with whom I can work one-on-one to resolve problems and further refine design.

Initially, it'll only take 1/8" and 1/4" bits. It has a 12" x 12" x 4" workspace (although the table is 2' long and almost 1-1/2 feet wide to ensure good workpiece alignment with the x-axis and room for clamps). The initial version is shipping with software to cut a limited range of joints - M&T, three types of dovetails and two types of box joints. More joints will almost certainly be added (one will be my "locking lap joint" that BobS pointed out to me here on the wreck might solve some shipping crate rigidity problems).

I'm not (yet) aiming at the general-purpose CNC router market; so haven't particularly worried about compatability with the software specific to that market. I think the short answer to your question is that I haven't implemented a g-code interpreter/compiler.

Morris Dovey

OK, you suck.

Reply to
Leon