Well, I put the trash can separator on top of the DC!

I asked if this was a good idea, but got no replies. Possibly you thought it was so silly that it had to be a troll, but I prefer to think that it is so progressive that no one could even visualize it.

I went ahead and did it.

is strong enough that I can sit on it, and I weigh a bit more than a trashcan half full of wood chips. Yeh, it has two right angle bends, but they are both in 5" pipe.

While you are there, my fine workmanship (well, maybe not as fine as the trashcan on top of the dust collector) is at

I've only been at this 2 years...

Reply to
Toller

Elegant, and space-saving to boot! Nice job! Tom

Reply to
tom

| I asked if this was a good idea, but got no replies. Possibly you | thought it was so silly that it had to be a troll, but I prefer to | think that it is so progressive that no one could even visualize it.

Actually, putting one atop the other has been discussed before. I've been thinking of taking the bags off my DC and mounting the blower portion only over the pair of tandem 55 gal drum cyclones. I haven't had time to do it; but the idea was kicked around here for a while.

I wanted the drums in the lower position because I didn't want to need a ladder to check the dust level and I didn't want to have to lift the filled drums down from a raised position.

I doubt anyone thought you were trolling.

| I went ahead and did it. |

| It is strong enough that I can sit on it, and I weigh a bit more | than a trashcan half full of wood chips. | Yeh, it has two right angle bends, but they are both in 5" pipe.

Good for you! Well, I /think/ good for you - because you haven't said anything at all about how well your new setup works...

| While you are there, my fine workmanship (well, maybe not as fine | as the trashcan on top of the dust collector) is at |

I've only been at this 2 | years...

Interesting work. I like the organizer and the blanket chest; and didn't download the DOC files (I would have liked to see your library table.)

Morris Dovey

Doubt if anyone throught you were trolling. Its a valid question - ive been considering one as well. Hell, Lee Valley sells them so they cant be that bad :)

But the real question is how well does it work? Big improvement?

Reply to
canadian_woodworker

Works about the same a when the TCS was on the ground. However, getting the lid off is difficult because there is not enough give in the system. I think I am going to shorten the straight metal pipe 10 inches, ease the angle on the top 90, and extend the flexible pipe a foot. It should have about the same amount of drag (more 4", but an easier angle on the bend), but will be a bit more flexible.

I couldn't find the jpeg I made the Doc file from. Shame on me. But you should have a look at it; it is the prettiest piece. And have I ever given you a virus before?!

Reply to
Toller

Doesn't this decrease your airflow quite a bit?

Reply to
rickluce

Who or what are you responding to? You give zero context, so people who aren't using google groups don't have any indications.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

You mean my arrangement or the separator? My arrangement doesn't seem to have any effect, nor should it. I have read that separators reduce air flow by 40%, though I can't tell much difference with or without it, so I think that 40% is exaggerated. But there is a lot more opportunity for leaks. Unfortunately there is no good way to measure airflow so it is hard to say. However my 2hp DC will be fine for my uses even if the separator does reduce airflow. (I bought it 2nd hand but never used for $250!)

Reply to
Toller

Yes I was speaking of the seperator. Looks like a nice system and

250.00 (why can't I ever get deals like that?!?!?!) I've thought about a seperator for my Jet 1100 but flow reducti> > Doesn't this decrease your airflow quite a bit?
Reply to
rickluce

| And have I ever given you a virus before?!

That's what /she/ said!

;-D

Morris Dovey

| I couldn't find the jpeg I made the Doc file from

I went back and pulled your DOC, extracted the photo, and turned the room lights on.

Good looking piece of work! Would you like a JPEG? :-)

Morris Dovey

Thanks much.

Is it possible to get a JPEG out of a DOC? I fiddled around with it but couldn't find anything. If you can explain the process, or do it for me, I would be grateful. Sadly it is not around to be photographed again; selling it was like selling a child.

Reply to
Toller

lid? The lids I've seen are all designed for 4" ducting.

Nice work. And if you got that far in 2 years, then excellent work.

Regards, Mike

Reply to
Mike

Unfortunately, yes, there is a reducer. Perhaps the pressure reduction that drops the stuff out works better coming from a 4".

Reply to
Toller

'Tis. I started up PaintShop Pro, then did a drag and drop from the doc window into PSP's window, did a color gamma adjustment so I could better see the grain, and saved the result as a JPEG. My copy of the image isn't as crisp as the original, but it's not bad.

If you'd like, I can e-mail you the JPEG - or (if you give permission) I can post it to ABPW.

Morris Dovey

I had visualized something completely different. That looks like a very good idea and an neat way to gain back some floor space -- I'm going to [try to] remember that. The [try to]? Severe case of can't remember stuff anymore :-(

Mark & Juanita