GLOAT MAJOR GLOAT A REALLY BIG GLOAT

I went to Sears the other day and behold laying on the floor of the clearance area was a Craftsman 6" jointer for $200. I didn't know if SWMBO woul allow me to buy it so I put it on hold.

Low and Behold SWMBO allowed me to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I got it home and unpacked it it was all there except for the stand and the motor......

I am making a stand out of scrap 3X3 and the motor cn be acquired for about $59.00.

$250 for a $379 jointer......

Reply to
jerry

Enjoy! Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Give Sears a call and tell them the motor was missing. They just might replace it free of charge. Worth a try anyway.

P.T.

Reply to
P.H. Thorsted

No kidding, but, what if you were HWMBO???

Congrats.

Alex

Reply to
AAvK

You bought a jointer for $200.00 WITH NO MOTOR?? Maybe if you bought it for $25.00 with no motor but $200.00 is no bargain!!

Reply to
NOSPAM

Gloat inflation?

Reply to
Swingman

Absolutely do this. My nephew bought one of their upright dust collectors this way for $50, but it was missing some components. The salesperson told him outright to contact customer service about the parts. He did and had the parts within a week.

BTW $59 for the motor sounds VERY OPTIMISTIC. I checked into a 1HP motor for an older Craftsman table saw and it was in the $130 range. Or are you looking at a rebuild?

Reply to
RonB

Do motor shops around you rebuild 1HP motors? Back when I was looking into a 1 3/4 HP motor for my jointer, I called a couple of motor shops and was told that they didn't rebuild anything smaller than 5 or 10 HP.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Definitely gloat inflation. $200 for a $379 jointer that's missing $50 worth of stuff to be workable... Nah, that's just not a MAJOR REALLY BIG GLOAT. That'd be the kind of thing I would save up to use as a little driveby maybe, where it would carry a bit more weight. Putting it out in front IN GIGANTIC ALL CAPITAL LETTERS kinda just sets a man up for jerks like us to rag on him about the gloatability of his purported gloat.

But I guess I'll be nice and tell him how much he sucks anyway.

You suck!

But that was charity really. Come back when your neighbor comes knocking on your door and says "Hey, you're a woodworker, right? My husband ran off with his secretary, and I'm selling his shop for whatever I can get for it. Come by my place later with your change jar." Then you get there, and he has a Unisaw, a 24" planer, a 5 HP shaper, an 8" jointer, a 36" wide belt sander, a 20" bandsaw, two buckets of routers with a chest full of bits, a complete collection of Bedrock, Veritas and L-N planes, and a bucket full of gold nuggets, and she lets you have the whole shooting match for $0.73. Come back with a gloat like that, and the Wreck will grovel at your feet for years, and call you Sucky McSuckysuck.

Reply to
Silvan

I loved your sense of humor, Michael. I looked at today's messages on Google and see "gloat" in the subject of the first 10 message threads.

"'tis the season to be gloatful - fa la la la la, la la la FOLLY."

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Now that is funny - tnx for the chuckle.

Reply to
Rob V

They used to, but frankly I haven't had to have one rebuilt for several years. I think rebuilds are still available. A lot of the older motors can be given a new lease on life with easily replaced start capacitors and internal switches for $30 to $40.

Reply to
RonB

gloat, yes. major really big gloat, no.

Reply to
bridger

Hey, that happened to me just yesterday. I was at starbucks and had just ordered a coffee. There was sawdust on my sweater and the lady behind me started up talking about woodworking and her lousy husband. From the running mascara I could tell she had been crying recently. Anyway, it turns out that she had come home from work early yesterday and found her contractor husband in bed with one of his clients. It was the canopy bed he had made for her as a wedding present so it really pissed her off. I won't go into the details of all the tools she offered, but you were right, she was asking just $0.73 for the whole thing. I started smiling and could hardly keep a straight face. Then I checked in my pockets and found that I only had $0.45 change after buying coffee. When I arrived at work people could tell I had been crying. My mascara had run.

-j

Funny, same thing happened to a family friend just last week, only it's not his tools, but his horses she's selling for .73. Love hath no fury...

Reply to
Swingman

In my case she was letting the mares go, but keeping the stallions.

-j

Always worth a try. I know Delta would do it, and I suspect Sears would as well. Look at it from their perspective- they've engineered the product to function a certain way, and if you put the wrong part in and it doesn't work, it could sour you on the whole line.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

ROTFL!!!

After everything I've been through this week, I needed that. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I needed that too! :)

Reply to
Silvan

Or injure you, and bring about a $378.4 quadrillion class action lawsuit.

Reply to
Silvan