Gloat, gloat, gloat

Top this gloat.

I've had very few gloats over my woodworking days, a couple of neeners, but this one is a beaut.

I was driving my daughter home from daycare when I come upon a residential demolition/estate sale. I thought I saw some tailed tools hanging out in the garage, so what the heck, I figure maybe the guy was a wrecker and maybe he's even got a couple of nice neander-bubba planes hanging around in there. Well, I was mistaken about the tools, they were all long gone, like 2 months ago long gone. So I'm about to walk away when the guy mentions that there's a bunch of scrap maple in the basement. Naturally, this gets my interest. Unfortunately, when I get down to the basement, I find out it's not maple. Fortunately, it is walnut. To clarify, 250 board feet of walnut. So, staying as calm as possible, I ask him what he wants to haul all this 'maple ' away. After all, this is a demolition sale, and everything must go, right? We dicker back and forth, he claims he's promised his 'brother in law' first pick and he won't come up with a number, so I take a very short drive. I go back 15 minutes later, tell him that I really can't come back after his brother in law looks over it, so if bro-law doesn't take it, he's going to have to haul it up out of the basement himself. He considers this and tells me, $60, but you have to haul all the offcuts away too (figured walnut offcuts? Okaaaayyy...), along with some scrap oak. The scrap oak is

50 board feet of white maple.
Reply to
Joe C

The Alaskan

You really suck did you know that? Taking advantage of the poor fellow like that...and for all that scrap oak too!

Reply to
solarman

Not too bad I guess. I would have tried to get more than $60 for hauling his crap away though. ;)

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

Nah, 20¢ a board foot for walnut is not a gloat unless the guy loaded it for you. ;) Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:17:54 GMT, "Joe C" pixelated:

Did the VERY loud sucking sound clean out his basement any more as you drove away?

- Metaphors Be With You -

Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Joe,

If what you got was what he considered scrap and offcuts, don't you wish you could have picked up some of the "good" stuff?

Good score!

DexAZ

Reply to
DexAZ

Yeah... ;~)

Reply to
Leon

How can you sleep at night? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

It's not easy, I keep waking up with project ideas!

jlc

Reply to
Joe C

That explains the high winds here right now...

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone