Forehead slapper.. screw extraction

This is probably one of those old tricks that everyone but me knows, but I thought I'd share it..

I was driving screws and the head broke off of one... I reached in the drawer for the vice grips and then decided to try taking the driver bit out of the drill and tightening the chuck over the broken screw..

Sure as hell, when I reversed the drill, the screw backed out smoothly...

Why didn't some one tell me about that 40 years ago? *sigh*

Sort of like the tip I read here in the wRECk a few years ago about tapping a screw hole in oak with a steel screw before using the brass ones.... lots of things that some folks "assume" that everyone knows.. Mac

mac davis

at work how a left hand twist drill works(ground left hand rotation) for removing a broken bolt. He says don't you still need the easy out.........nope, about that time it broke loose and spun the broken bolt out. There is nothing like them for a broken bolt. They reduce the pressure on the middle of the bolt and unlike an easy out they don't expand the bolt and make it tighter. There's another one you may or may not know. :-) Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson