Linear actuator needed

I need a linear actuator that can be mounted vertically to a wall or other surface and be able to support and lift about 100 lbs. Needs to be compact and preferrably AC powered and reversible.

Some sort of Acme Threaded assembly might work also. I'm not an engineer but I know enough about all this to get myself in trouble. I've looked at linear actuators and most are very expensive. I just wanted to see if some of the brighter minds out there can think of something practicle and won't break the bank.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Ken

Reply to
kcleere

Some of the resident engineers would probably appreciate knowing how much travel you need and what you are building. The second for possible alternative solutions.

Reply to
C & E

Reply to
Wilson
[ Ken's post hasn't shown up on my news server ]

It would help to know what you're doing and what kind of positional accuracy and speed you want to achieve.

Morris Dovey

Check on ebay. I bought two for a future project that has not been finished yet. I have tested them though and they are nice for the money. I beleive they come off of scrapped hospital beds. They are very heavy duty and reasonably priced. I looked up that seller and he does not have any currently available......but there are other sellers on ebay so that would be a good place to start. Surplus industrial suppliers on the net would be another. Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Think satellite dish actuators; lots of choices and sizes. You need to give more info to get anything useful as an answer.

Reply to
Pop

You could probably hack something together using 80-20 components:

Pounds on Wood

Bill...I could be like a kid in a candy store on that 80/20 site. Thanks..~~!

Pounds > >I need a linear actuator that can be mounted vertically to a wall or

Reply to
kcleere

This is really the most annoying subject like. Every time I open the newsreader:

What does that man want a linear accelerator for, and why in woodworking?

Oh. Right. I've been here before. Can't believe it gets me virtually every time.

:-P

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Sure have gotten alot of good info from woodworkers...lol....Sorry I posted this here by mistake and then it took on a life of it's own. However...the thought of using a linear actuator to raise and lower my drill press tabe is sort of a woodworking thing...right?????

I later posted this in Metalworking where I originally meant it to be...

KEn

Peter Huebner wrote:

Reply to
kcleere

I think he was referring to misreading the title, not that you shouldn't have posted...

Being raised near one, I also read "accelerator" instead of actuator...

Mac

mac davis

Unfortunately, buying 80/20 is not so slick.

They force you to purchase through distributors as they will not sell direct. Unfortunately the distributor that I dealt with wasn't all that interested in selling the product. It was definitely a second tier product for them and there was only one individual in the entire company who understood the stuff.

Reply to
Chris Dubea

Try these guys:

?UID=2006071522333295&catname=&byKeyword=yes&search=linear%20actuator

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I think you can buy 80-20 stuff direct from them via ebay. It is their "surplus" outlet (I assumed), but they likely will put something together to your requirements if you can't get there via what they have on auction. Good luck. Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy