Can I cross t-slot on saw table?

I'm thinking of rebuilding my shop built band saw table and like the newer styles that have a 2nd miter slot running at a 90 degree angle from the main/standard slot, sort of like this one:

've used t-slot/t-track material a few times, but never had it "cross" or "T" before... Can this be done with purchased slot material??

Mac

mac davis

Yes, with careful double-mitering of the tracks, why not? In the catalogue, there's a closeup of the intersection of the four pieces. Tom

Reply to
tom

recently saw them advertizing a new product that is a T-slot intersection. It should be exactly what you need. I'm thinking of the same thing for my next-generation shop-built router table.

Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Good luck, Tom

Reply to
tom_murphy

Bruce Barnett

ordinary t-track?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Yes, you can buy t-track that crosses like that, I've seen it in catalogs. In fact, I had a catalog here recently, that seems to have wandered away, that had it offered. I'd say check out Rockler or similar sites, it's probably pretty simple to find.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

It isn't. Unless you just don't want to mess with it. I was hoping for a Single piece when I went to look at it. A one piece crossing might be worth the money.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

For $12.99 - it seems like a time-saver. I don't know if it's one piece or not, but when you join T-slots, there is a chance of a bump (2 cuts) that will catch. If you miter 4 pieces, you have to get 8 cuts to be flush, instead of 2. Yeah - you can fix this, but it just takes more time.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

Why would you want to do that?

Reply to
Toller

Thanks, Tom... that would make it easier!

I got started on this when I tried to build a circle cutting jig for the band saw and saw that some of the new tables with "crossed slots" just used a locking slot slide with a pin sticking up... Mac

mac davis

Hey Tom... I need to ask a dumb question, instead of making a dumb mistake.. *g*

They say that the intersection kit works with their 3/4" t-track, but they ask if you want the 1/2" or mini 3/8" kit...

Would/wood th 1/2" be the one to order for the 3/4" track?

Math is a bitch.. lol Mac

mac davis

It says "4-piece kit"...

Mac

mac davis

Main reason would be ease of circle cutting..

I'm also using a shop made fence now with stops for pen blank widths and lengths, and the measuring is getting a little old..

I use a lot of the accessories from the shopsmith and other tools in the t-slots of the band saw now, and also would like to use the intersection idea on my next router table.. Mac

mac davis

The 1/2 vs 3/8 is the depth of the slots while 3/4 is the width.

dcm

Reply to
Devon Miller

What's the problem with just running 4 square cut pieces and leaving a hole in the middle? By using this kit you're putting 4 joints between tracks 3" away from the intersection where things could catch too, there's always going to be a discontinuity at the intersection no matter what you do.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

I'd be inclined to try sort of a half lap - cut the bottom out of one piece, and the sides out of the other, probably use a Dremel and a small file to do it.

Reply to
Larry Kraus

here's another description, the item links back to rockler.

Intersection Kit Slide your jigs and fixtures in almost any direction! Used with our

3/4" wide aluminum T-track, this 4-piece kit allows you to make the T-track intersection you need. Each aluminum piece is 3" long and is cut at 90º. Pre-drilled and countersunk with two holes to stay level when matching with other track pieces. Includes #6 x 5/8'' screws. Available in either 1/2" or 3/8" (for thinner stock) depth. Aluminum.
Reply to
couillion

Reply to
keith_nuttle

I already have a miter fence... the one from my shopsmith works ok.. but I want circle cutting and stuff that slots running both directions would be cool for..

Mac

mac davis