foley bwlsaw planer molder

so I just snagged an old belsaw molder on ebay for .... heh heh... eighty one bucks...

now I gotta go pick it up. as in literally get it into the back of my truck. anybody know the weight of this thing?

9103. I have been to the OWWM and to belsaw's site and I'm still a little unsure where this machine fits into their lineup. it looks like it was pretty early but I don't have a manufacture date yet. some of these had a shaft to mount a circular saw blade mid-infeed to rip and plane in one shot, but I don't think this one does. s'okay, I have plenty of other ways to rip stuff up. there was also a model with (I think) a jointer on it. I have a perfectly nice 8" jointer, so I neither want nor need that on my molder. just a nice heavy duty 12" planer with capacity to make moldings.

anyone else have one of these and can offer any sage words of advice?

Reply to
bridger

My neighbor has one, it is a good machine. As for the weight, I donno, but if you remove the planer from the base, 4 bolts I believe, it should be a easy two man job to load 'er up. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I bought a foley/belsaw 12" planer/molder several years ago at a sealed bid auction. A local lumber yard was closing and had a bunch of stuff for sale. I bid on the planer/molder, 3 Senco staple guns, two Senco pinners and two 10" Makita chop saws thinking I wouldn't buy any of them. As it turned out, the $400 I had bid on the stuff bought it all. I think the one planer/molder I bought may have been a little newer but it looked very similar. They put the planer in my truck with a fork-lift but two of us unloaded it. As it turned out, I sold the planer before I had even used it. Me and the 60 year old guy who bought it got it in the back of his truck. The one I bought was all that two guys could handle. If you can get the motor off, I think two guys could handle it easily.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Motor's in the base, or was in the one I helped heft. Made for two fairly equal but bulky packages, but two-man (with gloves for the sheet metal grab) handling was easy.

Wasn't long after moving Al's that I got my 13" Rockwell, which came with handles. Heavier, but easier.

Reply to
George

I have a Belsaw 9103 that looks very similar to yours. I thought I got a deal for mine for $200 at a County surplus auction. So you suck!

It is heavy AND awkward to move. My guess is 200+lbs. Two men CAN do it, but the more the better. The main issue with moving, as with any large tool, is to not move by using the in/outfeed tables. My brother and I grabbed areas of the base which as previously posted will require gloves and long sleeves, as the edges will cut you. If yours is like mine, you will no doubt get some cuts whenever working inside the base.

You will likely need a dedicated circuit for it as it needs amps to start. Check the parallelism (sp?)of the cutter head. I had to undo the chain and rotate the left side gears one or two links to get within .001. I just a made mobile base, made it 25x25 from 3/4 ply with 3" casters. This actually made the tables the same height as jointer and table saw. If you find a way to make a dust port for it let me know, as this bad boy spews loads of chips everywhere...

Enjoy! SS

Reply to
msschmenk