Flush trimming work top

I have now completed construction of my workbench top -- 2 sheets of 3/4" mdf laminated together and edge banded.

I now need to flush trim the edge banding using my flush trim bit in a hand held router. The top measures 96" by 32" and I can trim the long sides with the work top stood on its side on the floor. But how do I handle the short sides which would be 8 feet above the floor when stood on end. I'm tall, but not that tall.

I know I could hand plane the short sides but I am practising with the router and assorted bits.

Many thanks.

Malcolm Webb

Reply to
Malcolm Webb

Hold the top with one hand and run the router with the other while standing on bench stool. Have someone take pictures while you do this so they can post them in abpw later.

Reply to
KS

Why couldn't you just lay it on some sawhorses the way it would normally go, and run the router sideways along it?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I thought of that, but has anyone done it and is it safe?

Malcolm Webb

Reply to
Malcolm Webb

Excuse the earlier post. Anyway, I've done it the way that was described above. Depending on the thickness of the edge banding material you may see a wavy appearance due to the router being balanced on the 1 1/2" edge, which is hard to hold steady. The way I prefer to do it is with a home-made jig such as the one found here:

that helped.

Reply to
KS

Have you been to Target today? LOL --dave (see wtf post above)

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Clamp a 2x4 or a couple of layers of 3/4 material flush with the edge banding. This will double the width of the surface that your router will lay on. That should give you enough stability to hold the router on it's side.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Sure. Just secure the piece with a couple of clamps so that it's stable.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Somebody is going to raise hell about this being unsafe but screw 'em. Stand on a ladder.

Reply to
CW

Yes and yes.

Reply to
CW

I'm gonna keep an eye out for more of your posts.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Reply to
bridger

Enjoy yourself.

Reply to
CW

There was an article in the UK papers here not many weeks ago about a guy standing on a ladder using a chain saw. His wife was holding the ladder. He reached too far, slipped, and dropped the chain saw. I won't go into the gory details -- but the article made reference to the wife's funeral.

I don't stand on ladders with power tools. But I do have a mobile tower scaffold for cutting my hedges. Now there's a thought!!

Malcolm Webb

Reply to
Malcolm Webb

yup... that would be my question, too.. *g*

Reply to
mac davis