Finishing question

Nearing completion of a mantel clock in cherry and may have inadvertently limited my finishing options. After sanding and cleaning the piece, I applied BLO. It really made the piece glow but I want to have more protection on it than the BLO provides but I don't want it to look "plasticized" so I bought some Watco Danish Oil (clear) figuring that it would give me sufficient protection. The Watco instructions say to apply to bare wood. My question is since the Watco contains BLO among other ingredients, can it be applied over the coat of BLO. Did a Goggle search but can not find this question.

Any other finishing suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
Jack Casuso

It should work fine. Try it on a scrap board that a coat of BLO has been applied..

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

you can apply watco over BLO.

Reply to
bridger

The Watco will go over the BLO without any problems, but the protection it gives is very minimal, even with many coats. You might want to consider some type of wiping varnish or shellac to give a bit more durability to the finish.

Reply to
mp

I'd be skeptical and cautious. You may get a damaged or crinkled finish. Take a piece of scrap cherry and apply BLO, then apply the Watco. Finishing can ruin everything.

Reply to
Phisherman