HELP - Finishing Question

Hello,

I am new to woodworking and staining/finishing.

I am putting together a shaker style rocker made from maple. We chose a water-based, cherry-colored stain.

What I am wondering is whether this can be finished with Linseed Oil or whether I need to use a harder finish such as varnish?

Thanks very much,

Alan

Reply to
Alan S

First rule of wood finishing - determine the amount of protection something needs and select finishes that provides it.

Second rule of wood finishing - from the finishes that provide the protection select the one that provides the "look" you want.

Oil (and make sure if it is linseed oil it is boiled linseed oil or it will take forever to cure) can work for something like that but I'd be more inclined, if I wanted an oiled finish look, to go with a Danish oil for the somewhat better protection.

So, Now, do you want an oiled wood look or a surface finish look?

Reply to
Mike G

That's a pretty good description of an oil finish. No build, warm, close to the wood look and maintains the feel of the wood.

Danish oil would probably be your best bet. It contains some varnish resins which provides a little more protection then linseed or tung oil but not enough to really build unless you work very very hard at it, and that is a pretty pointless exercise.

If you haven't stained yet Watco Danish comes in natural and with color already in it.

Note, any natural oil will darken and slightly yellow when applied. Nothing to panic about but something you may want to keep in mind so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Good luck

Reply to
Mike G