finishing drawers?

Hi,

I am to the point in a nightstand project where I can apply a finish. Is there some preferred treatment for the outside / inside of the drawer? I know the front will follow with the rest of the nightstand, but what about the inside and outside surfaces of the drawer sides, back and bottom?

Judging from most of the furniture in my house, I'm guessing they stay unfinished, but I am not sure about applying some sort of "sealer"? I'm using Watco on the rest of the project.

Reply to
Tom

Pretty much your choice. Personally, I prefer to do kitchen drawers with no stain and clear shellac, and my tables and nightstands, etc., with the same finish as the the rest of the piece and/or shellac on the drawer box before I attach the drawer front, which is generally finished like the piece.

With wooden drawer slides, a follow up of periodic waxing with parafin, furniture wax, or candle wax on the sides and runners, works well.

Shellac is hard to beat for drawers, IMO.

Reply to
Swingman

Use shellac. Or use shellac. 3rd choice would be...shellac.

Dave

Reply to
David

I once used a "recommended" finish for inside drawers, lemon oil.

Damn stuff stank to high heaven, to the point where I tried to mask it by leaving it outdoors in the sun for a few days and then filling it with lavender. I won't be using that stuff again in a hurry.

Reply to
dingbat

Is lemon oil analogous to orange oil the oil you get from lemon skins? If so, it's not a finish but a solvent...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Reply to
nospambob

Vaguely similar, except that it's extracted from lemongrass, not citrus fruit. It's a stronger smell than citrus lemon oil.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Naah! Use shellac instead.

Reply to
lgb

There's always someone here that wants to argue! :)

Dave

Reply to
David

I like using a hot wax mixture, part parrafin, part carnuba, melted in paint thinner and applied hot with a brush. Sinks in, seals againts moisture way better than most finishes (see FWW #64) thereby reducing movement, a good thing in drawers. I've used this finish on the outside of my kitchen cabinets, although it's rubbed out (not easy) and then rubbed with linseed oil to bring up some luster (Don't ask me how this stuff sticks to the wax but there is definately a layer of linseed oil built up). Spills wipe off easy, scratches rub out, and the wooden edging along the counter has lasted 10 years with no water damage....

I also applied laminate to my drawer bottoms (no particle board/melamine allowed) for easy cleaning, and extra strength to the

1/4" ply. (Did all kitchen shelves as well) Steve Jensen Abbotsford B.C. snipped-for-privacy@canada.mortise.com chopping out the mortise. Surfing along at 19200 bps since 95. BBS'ing since 1982 at 300 bps. WW'ing since 1985

Nothing catchy to say, well maybe..... WAKE UP - There are no GODs you fools!

Reply to
Scorp