finishing a chest of drawers

Hi Everyone... Getting ready to make my first dresser. It's going to be 1/4 sawn white oak, with poplar secondary woods for the drawer sides and dust frames. Not sure what i'm going to use for finish, but i'm leaner towards some aniline dye and then either linseed or tung oil. I'm also planning on sanding every piece of the dresser to 220 grit. I've been searching on the web and in magazines and i can't find answers to some of my questions, but it could be because the answer may be more simple than what i'm thinking. anyway, here they are:

1) When I make tables, for example, I finish the whole thing, top and bottom of tabletop, both sides of rails, etc. I'm assuming I want to do the same thing here to equalize moisture? If so do i stain both sides of the top before or after construction?

2) It's going to be in the arts and crafts style, with frame and panel construction. the panels are going to be solid oak, not plywood, so i'm going to finish the panels before glueing them up so that as they change size with wood movement i dont see an 'unfinished' section as they shrink. Do you foresee any problems with this? Since they will be floating panels i think i'll be ok

2) I'm going to use half blind dovetails on the drawers. Do I do anything to the plywood bottom and drawer sides/back? Do i leave the wood as is? "bare"/"raw"? When I finish the front, I'll obviously finish the outside face, do I do the side that's inside the drawer as well? if so, do i finish it before i glue it up?

3) do i do anything to the dust frames or just leave the wood "raw"?

4) how 'bout the insides of the case? should those be finished as well to equalize moisture since the outside faces will be all finished?

Please excuse what might be simple questions, just never finished anything quite this complex before...Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Ken

Reply to
ken blais

I have built many chests with drawers and regretted building the first with soft wood for the drawer sides. I strongly suggest you use a harder wood for the drawer sides and what they will slide on. The drawers will slide very smoothly with a touch of wax after applying the varnish. The soft woods seem to always drag and scrape by comparison. You are going to this much trouble to use a beautiful wood don't go cheap now. It will simply feel better with the hard wood innards.

Reply to
Leon